Top Underclass talent came to the Nike Combine on Sunday, and they did not disappoint.
While the class of 2013 stars are displaying their skills and talents in national All-American games, the classes of 2014, 2015, and 2016 started to make a name for themselves at the first major scouting combine of the year: the Nike Football Sparq Combine. The event, held at FIU North, was dominated by nationally known recruits, but also gave a few younger players the stage they needed to show they can be top recruits as well.
Players went through 4 tests to determine their Sparq rating: 40 yard dash, 3 cone shuttle, medicine ball power toss, and vertical leap.
Let's take a look at the top performers:
Best of the best: 2014 ATH Treon Harris, Booker T. Washington (Miami, FL)
- The younger brother of former Miami Cornerback Brandon Harris, Treon showed himself to be a top athlete. He came out and posted good times in the 40 (4.48) and 3 cone shuttle (4.31) en route to becoming the first player invited to Nike's The Opening for 2013. Harris measured in at 5'11" and 161lbs, but was heard during the event saying that he is a "pure Quarterback", and wants to play that position exclusively at the collegiate level. While I do not believe he will stick at QB on the next level, Harris showed that he is an elite athlete who figures to be an impact player in college, most likely at Wide Receiver or Cornerback.
- 2014 ATH JoJo Robinson, Northwestern (Miami, FL) - Robinson took the title of Highest Sparq Rating on the day. He came in early in the first group, and made his presence known with a 4.42 40yd dash, and kept that high level of performance going throughout all 4 physical tests. An FSU commit, Robinson is a good blend of size and speed. He is a top recruit in the next cycle, and his performance today only helped to support that lofty status.
- 2015 ATH Jaquan Johnson, Killian (Miami, FL) - Just a Sophomore, Johnson is arguably the top player in South Florida. Johnson displayed good speed and quickness through all the drills. It is very easy to see why he is such a highly touted prospect. Johnson has the look of a 5 star player, and is a must get for Al Golden and company. I expect him to be the #1 target for the Canes staff in the class of 2015.
- 2015 S Calvin Brewton, Columbus (Miami, FL) - Brewton was in the same group as Johnson and did well to hold his own against such an elite player. Brewton has a larger frame than Johnson, but wasn't as quick in the drills. The Columbus staff did a nice job developing Deon Bush into an All-American caliber player, and Brewton looks poised to follow in those foot steps.
- 2014 DL Anthony Moten, St. Thomas Aquinas (Ft. Lauderdale, FL) - Surprisingly athletic for his size (6'4", 275lbs), Moten showed good burst and agility in the drills. He also had the best distance in the Powerball toss, 42 feet. Moten and Miami have already been in contact, and he would be a valued addition to the Defensive Line rotation.
- 2014 RB Madre London, St. Thomas Aquinas (Ft. Lauderdale, FL) - London has added good size to his 6'1" frame, and is built more like a linebacker than a running back. He definitely passed the eye ball test, as well as the agility drills. London figures to be the feature back for the State Champion Raiders next season, and his national profile figures to increase greatly over the next few months. Very good looking athlete.
Surprise of the day - 2014 RB Krondis Larry, Booker T. Washington (Miami, FL)
- Larry is a very small player, standing 5'6" and 145lbs. What caught my attention, along with everyone else at the event, was his blazing straight line speed. Larry ran back-to-back 4.36 times in the 40, and was immediately elevated to "talk of the combine" status. He struggled with his footwork a bit in the 3 cone shuttle, but his explosiveness was still very apparent. He will be a highly sought after player for any team that needs a returner or situational speedster. Very intriguing prospect.
Best of the rest:
- 2014 OT Harry Dumervil, Northeast (Oakland Park, FL)
- 2014 DE Keyon Brown, Hardee (Wauchula, FL)
- 2014 CB O'Brian Anderson, Goleman (Miami, FL)
- 2014 ATH Deltron Hopkins, Booker T. Washingon (Miami, FL)
- 2014 CB Andrew Soroh, American (Miami, FL)
- 2014 CB David Alexis, Miami Beach (Miami, FL)