CORAL GABLES, Fla. – The Miami Hurricanes football team held its 2013 Canes Football Awards Show on Saturday night at the Maurice Gusman Concert Hall located inside the Frost School of Music.
Joe Zagacki, the "Voice of the Miami Hurricanes", served as the awards show’s emcee. The show opened with the top 13 plays of the 2013 season:
13. Herb Waters’ end-around 63-yard TD run vs. FAU
11. Shayon Green’s strip sack and Jimmy Gaines fumble recovery for a TD at USF
10. Pat O’Donnell’s booming 71-yard punt vs. Virginia
9. Clive Walford’s SportsCenter Top 10 one-handed catch vs. Wake Forest
8. Stephen Morris to Stacy Coley for a 34-yard TD at USF
7. Ladarius Gunter’s pick-6 vs. Georgia Tech
6. Tyriq McCord’s strip sack and fumble recovery vs. Florida
4. Artie Burns’ blocked FG and Ladarius Gunter TD return at North Carolina
3. Tyriq McCord ferocious sack vs. Georgia Tech
2. Denzel Perryman’s SportsCenter Top 10 tackle takedown of Wake Forest’s Dominique Gibson
1. Stacy Coley’s 73-yard reverse for his third TD at Pitt
The Hurricanes coaching staff handed out 21 annual player awards. Freshman WR/KR Stacy Coley was named the team’s Newcomer of the Year; junior LB and Butkus Award semifinalist Denzel Perryman was named Defensive MVP, while senior OG and Senior Bowl participant Brandon Linder was named Offensive MVP.
Second-team All-America P Pat O’Donnell was named Special Teams MVP and senior WR Allen Hurns was awarded the Jack Harding Team Most Valuable Player award.
Throughout the evening, several video messages from prominent #ProCanes were played for the team – Warren Sapp, Michael Irvin, Andre Johnson, Clinton Portis, Ed Reed, Jon Beason, Antrel Rolle, Devin Hester and Greg Olsen.
Senior QB Stephen Morris was the recipient of the Plumer Award for Leadership, Motivation and Spirit. Senior DE Shayon Green received the Melching Leadership Award. Both awards are voted on by the team.
At the end of the night, head coach Al Golden thanked the senior class and all 25 seniors were presented with their framed jersey.
No. 25 Miami (9-3) will play No. 18/16 Louisville (11-1) in the 2013 Russell Athletic Bowl on Dec. 28 in Orlando. Tickets, which are priced at $77 and $82, can be purchased through the UM Ticket Office online at CanesTix.com, in-person at BankUnited Center (M-F 8:30 a.m.-5 p.m.) or by phone at 1-800-GO-CANES.
2013 CANES FOOTBALL AWARDS SHOW HONOREES
Hard Hitter Award Denzel Perryman
Mariutto Family Scholar-Athlete Award Sean McNally
Community Service Man of the Year Award Stephen Morris
Strength Training Athlete of the Year Jimmy Gaines
Albert Bentley Most Valuable Walk-On Award Nantambu Fentress
Nick Chickillo Most Improved Player Asante Cleveland
Walt Kichefski Hurricane Award Maurice Hagens
University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame Unsung Hero Award Jared Wheeler
Training Room Comeback Player of the Year Malcolm Lewis
Hurricane Media "Good Guy" Award AJ Highsmith
Captain's Awards Stephen Morris & Shayon Green
Plumer Award for Leadership, Motivation & Spirit Stephen Morris
Melching Leadership Award Shayon Green
U Respect Award Kacy Rodgers II
Scout Team Offensive Player of the Year Keion Berry
Scout Team Defensive Player of the Year Hugo Delapenha Jr.
Newcomer of the Year Award Stacy Coley
Defensive MVP Denzel Perryman
Offensive MVP Brandon Linder
Special Teams MVP Pat O'Donnell
Jack Harding Team Most Valuable Player Allen Hurns