While we are still a ways away from the FAU season opener, that doesn't stop the coaches from letting us know where the team stands after major spring events. Over the weekend, Miami held it's annual spring game, and after Morris led his side to the win, a new depth chart was formed. Some guys earned new spots, while others still have work to do. Lets take a look at how things are shaping up.
|2013 POST-SPRING DEPTH CHART|
|WR||1||Allen Hurns||6-3||195||Sr.||DE||71||Anthony Chickillo||6-4||274||Jr.|
|80||Rashawn Scott||6-2||203||Jr.||99||Jelani Hamilton||6-5||283||So.|
|LT||74||Ereck Flowers||6-6||312||So.||DT||93||Luther Robinson -OR-||6-3||303||RSr.|
|79||Malcolm Bunche -OR-||6-7||327||RJr.||96||Curtis Porter||6-1||316||Sr.|
|76||Taylor Gadbois||6-8||312||RFr.||DT||91||Olsen Pierre||6-4||305||Jr.|
|LG||79||Malcolm Bunche||6-7||327||RJr.||67||Corey King||6-1||292||So.|
|70||Jon Feliciano||6-5||318||RJr.||DE||51||Shayon Green||6-3||264||Sr.|
|C||62||Shane McDermott -OR-||6-4||296||RJr.||94||Kelvin Cain||6-3||242||Sr.|
|75||Jared Wheeler||6-5||319||Sr.||OLB||36||Alex Figueroa||6-3||233||Fr.|
|RG||65||Brandon Linder||6-6||319||Sr.||17||Tyriq McCord||6-3||230||So.|
|63||Danny Isidora||6-4||308||RFr.||MLB||59||Jimmy Gaines -OR-||6-3||235||Sr.|
|RT||77||Seantrel Henderson||6-8||345||Sr.||56||Raphael Kirby||6-0||232||So.|
|74||Ereck Flowers -OR-||6-6||312||So.||OLB||52||Denzel Perryman||6-0||236||Jr.|
|66||Sunny Odogwu||6-8||318||Fr.||31||Tyrone Cornileus||6-2||215||Sr.|
|TE||82||Asante Cleveland||6-5||260||Sr.||CB||37||Ladarius Gunter -OR-||6-2||196||Jr.|
|46||Clive Walford||6-4||259||RJr.||3||Tracy Howard||5-11||184||So.|
|85||Beau Sandland||6-6||255||Jr.||S||30||AJ Highsmith -OR-||6-0||208||Sr.|
|FB||33||Maurice Hagens||5-11||247||Sr.||26||Rayshawn Jenkins||6-1||215||So.|
|QB||17||Stephen Morris||6-2||214||Sr.||S||2||Deon Bush||6-1||203||So.|
|11||Ryan Williams||6-5||223||RJr.||22||Kacy Rodgers II||6-2||212||Jr.|
|RB||8||Duke Johnson||5-9||196||So.||CB||21||Antonio Crawford -OR-||5-11||187||So.|
|25||Dallas Crawford||5-10||196||RSo.||35||Nate Dortch||5-11||170||RFr.|
|4||Phillip Dorsett -OR-||5-10||185||Jr.|
|P||Pat O'Donnell||6-5||222||Gr.||LS||61||Paul Kelly -OR-||6-1||255||RSr.|
|18||Matt Goudis||6-0||172||So.||60||Sean McNally||5-10||200||RJr.|
|FG||18||Matt Goudis||6-0||172||So.||SS||61||Paul Kelly||6-1||255||RSr.|
|Pat O'Donnell||6-5||222||Gr.||65||Brandon Linder||6-6||319||Sr.|
|KO||18||Matt Goudis||6-0||172||So.||PR||4||Phillip Dorsett||5-10||185||Jr.|
|Pat O'Donnell||6-5||222||Gr.||8||Duke Johnson||5-9||196||So.|
|H||19||David Thompson -OR-||6-2||210||RFr.||KR||4||Phillip Dorsett -OR-||5-10||185||Jr.|
|Pat O'Donnell||6-5||222||Gr.||9||Malcolm Lewis||6-0||187||So.|
- Herb Waters finds himself in the starting spot after a damn good spring. The kid is continuing to improve, although Rashawn Scott is giving him a run for his money.
- The offensive line continues to hold the status quo, with no major movers or shakers. This will likely hold true come regular season, unless someone gets injured.
- Asante Cleveland is currently listed as the starting TE. He has shown a lot of progress from last year, but if you want my opinion, I would be surprised if Sandland or Walford were not the opening day starters.
- Malcolm Lewis, who is still fighting his way back from injury, is listed as an OR with Philip Dorsett. This is great news for the young man, and shows that he definitely should be fine when things get going in the fall.
- Freshman Alex Figueroa is listed as the starter at OLB, and he's the only freshman listed. Out side of him at the position, Denzel Perryman is the incumbent opposite Figs, while Raphael Kirby and Jimmy Gaines are battling in the middle.
- Despite a knee injury, Jelani Hamilton is still listed as Chick's backup, which could be looked at two ways. Either no one has stepped up to take it from him, or he had more or less cemented that role before getting hurt.
- A pretty consistent theme during spring has unfortunately been Tracy Howard being the guy on the receiving end of offensive touchdowns. This is not at all something that everyone should panic about, although it does mean he still has work to do. He and Ladarius Gunter are listed as your OR CB's on one side of the field, and Nate Dortch and Antonio Crawford make up the split decision on the other side.
- AJ Highsmith, while mostly written off by fans with the rise of Rayshawn Jenkins, has shown a lot of poise this spring. This has resulted in him sharing the spot with Jenkins opposite Deon Bush. This could easily change later, as Jenkins is a great talent at the position, but it's fun to watch him battle.
- From all accounts, Olsen Pierre has dominated on the defensive line so far this spring, and Luther Robinson isn't far behind. This, they are your starters there, with Curtis Porter right behind them. While not an ideal talent set for Coach D's desired scheme, the potential is there for them to be very good.
- This doesn't happen often, but with this depth chart release comes the announcement of a new addition to the Canes team. Punter Pat O'Donnell is now a Cane after graduating from the University of Cincinnati. O'Donnell is listed as the starter, which means Matt Goudis has his work cut out for him. Here's the official statement from Miami:
A new name appeared on the post-spring depth chart Tuesday. Pat O'Donnell, a graduate punter from the University of Cincinnati, is listed as the Canes' No. 1 punter and is also listed on the depth chart for field goals, kickoffs and placeholder. O'Donnell has signed a financial aid agreement with the University of Miami and is expected to enroll in either the summer or fall semesters. O'Donnell averaged 41.8 yards per punt on 59 attempts with the Bearcats in 2012, while dropping 23 kicks inside the 20-yard line and booting 10 kicks of 50+ yards.
- Something that should make Canes fans relatively happy here is that Duke Johnson is listed as the third KR/PR behind Dorsett and Malcolm Lewis. Many folks were clamoring for this move since Duke will be the feature back, and the injury risk on returns is much too high. It seems the coaches are keying in on this fact, and are hesitant to let him do it.