SERIES INFORMATION – GAME 31-33
#24 MIAMI HURRICANES (18-12, 8-4 ACC) at Virginia Tech (14-12-1, 5-7 ACC)
Blacksburg, Va. • English Field (1,033)
Fri., April 4 (5:30 p.m. ET) • Sat., April 5 (2 p.m.) • Sun., April 6 (1 p.m.)
Radio: WVUM 90.5 FM | WVUM.org (all three games)
TV: ESPN 3 (Friday, Sunday)
Miami leads the all-time series between the two schools by a commanding 20-7 margin. The Hurricanes hold a 10-5 all-time record over the Hokies in Blacksburg and a 10-2 record at Mark Light Field, where they captured the series against then-No. 24 Virginia Tech in 2013.
Game One: MIAMI LHP Chris Diaz (5-0, 2.27 ERA) vs. VT RHP Brad Markey (2-4, 3.05 ERA)
Game Two: MIAMI LHP Andrew Suarez (3-1, 3.02 ERA) vs. VT LHP Sean Keselica (2-1, 6.17 ERA)
Game Three: MIAMI LHP Bryan Radziewski (1-2, 4.28 ERA) vs. VT TBD
WEEKEND NEWS AND NOTES
HITTING THE ROAD...
• After stretching its winning streak to five with a victory over Bethune-Cookman, #24 Miami travels to Blacksburg, Va., for an ACC series against Virginia Tech at English Field.
• Miami earned its first three-game ACC road sweep since March 2011 by capturing all three matchups against No. 25 NC State last weekend at Doak Field in Raleigh, N.C. The Hurricanes won the first two games by a score of 2-1, and captured the finale 12-5.
• Miami holds a commanding 20-7 all-time advantage over the Hokies, including a 10-5 all-time record on the road. The Hurricanes took two of three from then-No. 24 Virginia Tech in 2013, capturing the first two games of the series at Mark Light Field.
• After struggling through the first month of the season, freshman slugger Zack Collins has turned it up a notch. Collins is hitting at a .378 clip over his past 10 games with four doubles, four homers and 14 RBI. He has 11 RBI over the last five games.
• Also picking up the pace are junior catcher Garrett Kennedy - who is hitting .294 over his last five games - and freshman Johnny Ruiz, batting .316 over the last five. Ruiz recorded his career-first three-hit game in the team’s 4-0 shutout of FGCU (March 26).
• Over his last four starts, redshirt sophomore Andrew Suarez has allowed four earned runs in 30.2 innings (1.17 ERA). He went 9.0 innings against Georgia Tech (March 15) - earning a no- decision - and went 8.0 innings in a win over NC State (March 29).
• Freshman Willie Abreu is hitting an impressive .375 in ACC play, and drove in a career-high three runs in the series finale with No. 3 Virginia (March 24). His triple-slash line over the last five games is .571/.714/.643.
SHUTTING THEM DOWN...
• Miami’s bullpen has not allowed a run since the series finale against Virginia on March 24 - a stretch of 16.2 consecutive innings across five games.
• Among the key contributors during that stretch are Cooper Hammond (3.0 innings, one save), Thomas Woodrey (5.2 innings) and Bryan Garcia (3.0 innings, one save).
• Junior LHP Chris Diaz picked up his third win over a ranked opponent this season in a 7-1 victory over No. 3 Virginia (March 22). Diaz has earned a win in five of his six starts and is tied for first in the ACC with five wins. He ranks 17th in the ACC with a 2.58 ERA.
• Diaz, who ranked second in the ACC in ERA in 2013 (1.64), did not pick up his fifth win of the 2013 season until May 10 against Wake Forest. He finished 2013 with a 7-5 record.
• The Hurricanes have won every single one of Diaz’ starts in 2014, including victories over then-No. 23 Florida (2/14), No. 1 FSU (2/28) and No. 3 Virginia (3/22). Miami has not lost a game started by Diaz since the 2013 ACC Tournament in a 7-1 loss to NC State (May 24).