GAME INFORMATION – GAME 32
MIAMI HURRICANES (21-12, 11-4 ACC) at UCF KNIGHTS (20-13, 8-1 American)
Orlando, Fla. • Jay Bergman Field (3,600)
Wed., April 9, 2014 (6:30 p.m. ET)
UCFKnights.com All-Access ($) • WVUM 90.5 FM | WVUM.org
Miami leads the all-time series between the two schools by a 17-5 margin, including a 5-0 record in Orlando/Kissimmee. The Hurricanes dropped their first 2014 matchup with the Knights by a final score of 9-2 on March 18 at Mark Light Field.
MIAMI RHP Javi Salas (2-3, 3.86 ERA) vs. UCF TBD
MIDWEEK NEWS AND NOTES
BACK ON THE ROAD...
• After capturing all three games in its ACC series against Virginia Tech at English Field, #20 Miami travels to Orlando, Fla., for a midweek matchup with UCF at Jay Bergman Field.
• Miami carries an eight-game winning streak into Wednesday’s matchup with UCF, having swept back-to-back ACC three-game road series for the first time since joining the conference in 2004.
• Miami holds a 17-5 all-time advantage over the Knights, including a 5-0 all-time lead in Orlando/Kissimmee. The Hurricanes lost an earlier matchup against UCF 9-2 at Mark Light Field on March 18.
• After struggling through the first month of the season, freshman slugger Zack Collins has turned it up a notch. Collins is hitting at a .409 clip over his past five games with one double, one triple, two home runs and 14 RBI.
• Also picking up the pace are senior captain Tyler Palmer - who is hitting .368 over the last five - and sophomore Brandon Lopez, who is batting .357 over his last five games.
• Over his last five starts, redshirt sophomore Andrew Suarez has allowed just seven earned runs in 38.1 innings (1.88 ERA). He is 3-0 over that stretch with 19 strikeouts and just six walks.
• Freshman Willie Abreu is hitting an impressive .346 in ACC play, and leads all freshmen with 31 starts. He ranks fourth on the Hurricanes with 16 RBI.
• Junior LHP Chris Diaz picked up his third win over a ranked opponent this season in a 7-1 victory over No. 3 Virginia (March 22). Diaz has earned a win in five of his eight starts and is tied for third in the ACC with five wins. He ranks 12th in the ACC with a 2.45 ERA.
• Diaz, who ranked second in the ACC in ERA in 2013 (1.64), did not pick up his fifth win of the 2013 season until May 10 against Wake Forest. He finished 2013 with a 7-5 record.
• The Hurricanes have won every single one of Diaz’ starts in 2014, including victories over then-No. 23 Florida (2/14), No. 1 FSU (2/28), No. 3 Virginia (3/22) and then-No. 25 NC State (3/28). Miami has not lost a game started by Diaz since the 2013 ACC Tournament in a 7-1 loss to NC State (May 24).