No preamble this time. Let's get right to the questions:
@TheStateOfTheU What are some Defensive Linemen recruits that are high on UM's radar & are actually a possibility— Andrew Vasquez (@A_Vasquez17) June 4, 2014
- DT Kahlil McKenzie is set to announce his choice at Nike's The Opening in July. He'll probably follow his father's footsteps and pick Tennessee, so he's out.
- DT Joseph Wicker is at the top of the list for Miami right now. He's named Miami in his top group, but will take his time evaluating the process before he commits. He committed early to Washington last year after his very first unofficial visit, and has repeatedly said he won't make the same mistake twice. Here is SBNation Recruiting Analyst Bud Elliott's scouting report on Wicker.
- DE Jason Strowbridge is high on Miami. The Deerfield Beach HS product told InsideTheU.com ($) he considered committing at the spring game. He's still high on Miami's list, and will probably hit a camp this summer.
- DT Quentez Johnson, who committed to Miami for about 2 days earlier this spring, recently released his top 8, in which Miami and Tennessee are tied at the top. Most believe that he's headed elsewhere, but he continues to keep Miami at the top of his list. I don't think he'll end up as a Cane, but I've been wrong before.
- DT Neville Gallimore has seen his stock absolutely skyrocket in the last 3 weeks. Once an unknown/unrated kid from a Canadian Prep School, he dominated the NFTC in Columbus, and is now the #33 OVERALL PLAYER in the class of 2015. SBNation Recruiting analyst Bud Elliott interviewed Gallimore last weekend. While he could end up in Miami, this will be a fight to the finish for Gallimore.
- DE Richard McIntosh is another target from the South Florida area. At 6'4" 255 he has the size to fit in the 3-4 defense we're transitioning to. If he's going to be in this class, I have a feeling he'll commit sooner rather than later.
- DT Kyle Henderson dominated at the first Al Golden Football Camp, albeit against a below average OL group. He figures to be a lower level/plan B option at this point, but he's on the radar.
- DE/OLB Ronique Robinson is a name few know. He is this year's Demetrius Jackson: a former basketball player who will be suiting up for Booker T. Washington Football this fall. He's 6'7" 240lbs and oozes potential. Peter Ariz of CanesInSight.com had a feature on Robinson back in late March.
@TheStateOfTheU With Kendrick Norton decommiting from FSU do we have a shot at him— Charles Redd (@MGoshujin_Ra) June 4, 2014
I'm announcing my decommitment from fsu. I wish them the best of lck in the future and with there recruiting process nothing but respect.— Kendrick Norton (@norton_kendrick) June 4, 2014
A late addition to the Mailbag, but something that bears discussing. DT Kendrick Norton (6'3", 305lbs) from Trinity Catholic in Jacksonville, FL just decommitted from Florida State on Wednesday afternoon.
He is from the same school as top CB recruit Kevin Toliver II and LB Jeffery Holland, another Cane target. Jacksonville is an area of the State that Miami hasn't traditionally or recently recruited very well, but with Norton's talent, the lack of DTs in Florida this year, and the glaring need for Miami to get players at this position, it stands to reason that Miami will make a serious run at Norton.
Q: What are the major position needs for Miami, other than defensive tackle, in 2015? - from Maurice Louis (Email)
Cornerback. We've brought in a lot of players with great talent and even higher potential at all other positions, DT notwithstanding. Just look at the class of 2014 on Defense:
- Edge Rushers - Jackson, Harris, Thomas, Smith
- LB - Owens, Young, McCray
- S - Hester, Gayot
- CB - Mayes
Q: With the lack of talent both on the depth chart and in South Florida in general right now any chance of converting any players currently on roster or incoming to DT? - from @Larion (via email)
Q: So we’re at 12 guys committed right now and camp season is here, by the time fall rolls around who are five more names you feel relatively confident could be a part of this class? - from Dana (email)
- Jaquan Johnson
- Tim Irvin
- Jason Strowbridge
- Dominic Sheppard
- (wildcard who gets offer and commits at a Camp)
@TheStateOfTheU If Kayaa or Olsen perform well the first couple wks of the season, does that mean Williams sits the season?— Matt W (@caneseye22) June 4, 2014
@TheStateOfTheU If the defense can't get it together this season, do you think that it would be tempting to move back to the 4-3 base?— Matt W (@caneseye22) June 4, 2014