Story Link: http://gocan.es/XiZlcz
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Fri., April 5, 2013
Shane Larkin Named Lute Olson Player of the Year
He’s first recipient of Lute Olson Award in program history
ATLANTA - The ACC Player of the Year added more hardware Friday. Sophomore guard Shane Larkin was named the Lute Olson National Player of the Year at the CollegeInsider.com awards banquet in Atlanta, site of the men's NCAA Basketball Championship.
The sophomore, who was selected to the Lute Olson All-America team, is the first recipient of the Lute Olson Award in Miami history.
Larkin was instrumental in Miami’s run to the Sweet 16. The Orlando, Fla., native led the Canes in scoring (14.5 ppg), assists (164), steals (71) and 3-point percentage (.406). A finalist for the Cousy Award, Larkin’s stellar play helped Miami accomplish several program firsts, including rising to No. 2 in the pools, beating No. 1 Duke and winning both the ACC regular season championship and the ACC Tournament championship.
The Lute Olson Award is presented annually to the nation's top Division I player who has played at least two seasons with his respective team. Freshmen and first-year transfers can be named to the All-America team, but are not eligible to receive the Player of the Year honors.
The award is named in honor of coaching great Lute Olson, who won 780 games in 34 seasons, 24 of which were spent at the University of Arizona. During that stretch he led the Wildcats to 11 Pac-10 Conference titles, 23 consecutive NCAA tournaments, four Final Four appearances and a National Championship in 1997.
Shane Larkin's 2012-13 Awards
• Lute Olson National Player of the Year
• AP Second Team All-American
• John Wooden All-American
• Bob Cousy Award finalist (top 5)
• Naismith Player of the Year candidate (top 30)
• Wooden Award finalist (top 15)
• Third Team All-American - The Sporting News
• Second Team All-American - NABC
• Lute Olson All-American
• Lefty Driesell Defensive All-American
• USBWA All-District IV Team
• ACC Tournament MVP
• ACC Player of the Year (Coaches)
• ACC All-Tournament First Team
• All-ACC First Team (Coaches)
• All-ACC Defensive Team (Coaches)
• All- ACC First Team (ASCMA)
• All-ACC Defensive Team (ASCMA)
• ACC Player of the Year - Sports Illustrated (Seth Davis)
• Second Team All-American - ESPN (Jason King)
• ACC Player of the Year - ESPN (Jason King)
• All-ACC First Team - ESPN (Jason King)
• Oscar Robertson National Player of the Week - Feb. 4
• ACC Player of the Week - Feb. 4