Atlanta is easily one of my favorite cities to visit.
Between Olympic Park, The CNN Center, one of the largest Aquariums in the world, and vast array of restaurants and bars/clubs, there is always a ton to do.
In August of 2014 the city added another major attraction that is a must see, particularly for College Football junkies.
The College Football Hall-of-Fame located at 250 Marietta Street NW is nestled just a hop, skip, and a jump from the Georgia Dome and CNN Center, and is an absolute palace of a sports museum.
Complete with dynamic and fully-immersive galleries and historic and contemporary artifacts the attraction also offers a total "fan experience," matching traditional, museum-quality memorabilia with interactive, multimedia exhibits that invite fans to engage with their favorite college football team or Hall of Famer.
I got a chance to stop by the CHOF and came away impressed to say the least.
One of the most unique aspects of the facility is how personalized it is. Upon check in you enter your favorite team, an each state of the art station gives you a feel for the team you entered.
Some of the other features include a game day theater that will leave you breatheless as it captures the thrill and tapestry of game day from start to finish, a quad to kick your own field goals and toss some long passes, and several high level production features including being the man on "ESPN's College Gameday," designing your own plays and watching them in action, high density looks at several stadiums, and several tributes to fans, mascots and cheerleaders (including a karaoke room to sing your team's fight song).
To say the least, this place is highly entertaining from start to finish, and the most hardcore of college football fans can spend hours upon hours and still not hit every last feature the facility offers.
If you are in town and looking for an amazing experience, I highly recommend stopping by the College Football Hall-of-Fame.
All you need to know below:
Hours: Open from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sunday through Friday and 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Saturday.
Site: Located adjacent to the Georgia World Congress Center on Marietta Street, next to Centennial Olympic Park and near the Georgia Dome
250 Marietta Street, NW
Atlanta, GA 30313
Size: 94,256 square feet, including 50,000 square feet of exhibit space and a 45-yard indoor football field
Exhibits: Redefining what a Hall of Fame can be, the College Football Hall of Fame is engaging and interactive from the moment fans set foot in the building.
• The Quad: Anchored by the Helmet Wall displaying the helmets of more than 760 college football teams, the Quad is the entry point to the Hall of Fame
• The Playing Field: A 45-yard replica football field where guests can try their hand at the Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl Skill Zone
• Chick-fil-A Why We Love College Football: An immersive 52-foot-long interactive media wall and giant trophy case that showcase what makes college football so great by combining the heritage of the game with the technology of today
• Game Day Theater: 150 seats treat guests to an ultra-high definition, 4K feature film, "The Game of Your Life," on a 40’ by 10’ screen
• Coca-Cola Fan’s Game Day: Chronicles the college football experience from the perspective of the game’s biggest fans
• Kia Building a Champion: This gallery goes beyond the field to show the sacrifices and commitment made by today’s student-athletes and college coaches
• AT&T Game Time: From the rivalries that make the game great to the split-second decisions that engrave moments into college football history, this gallery explores the intensity, passion and excellence in the game
• National Football Foundation Building Leaders presented by Chick- fil-A: Pays tribute to those who have achieved accolades on the field and have gone on to make a difference off of it
• Hall of Fame: Captures the stories and accomplishments of the players who broke records and won our hearts, cementing their legacy in a one-of- a-kind experience that pays homage to the tradition and heritage of the game
Special event spaces: The College Football Hall of Fame will incorporate special event space for up to 1,200 guests
Expected visitors: 500,000 annually