GAME INFORMATION – GAMES 23-25
#25 MIAMI HURRICANES (12-10, 4-2 ACC) vs. #3 VIRGINIA CAVALIERS (17-3, 5-1 ACC)
Coral Gables, Fla. • Alex Rodriguez Park at Mark Light Field (4,999)
Sat., March 22, 2014 (7 p.m. ET) • Sun., March 23, 2014 (7:30 p.m. ET) • Mon., March 24, 2014 (7 p.m. ET)
Game One : ESPN 3 • 560 WQAM • WVUM 90.5 FM | WVUM.org
Game Two: ESPN 3 • WVUM 90.5 FM | WVUM.org
Game Three: ESPNU • 560 WQAM • WVUM 90.5 FM | WVUM.org
The all-time series between the Hurricanes and Cavaliers is tied 20-20, with Miami holding a slight 10-9 advantage at Mark Light Field. Head coach Jim Morris has a 19-20 record against Virginia in his time at the helm of the Hurricanes.
Saturday: MIAMI LHP Chris Diaz (4-0, 2.05 ERA) vs. VIRGINIA LHP Nathan Kirby (5-0, 0.59 ERA)
Sunday: MIAMI LHP Andrew Suarez (2-1, 4.12 ERA) vs. VIRGINIA RHP Josh Sborz (3-1, 2.55 ERA)
Monday: MIAMI LHP Bryan Radziewski (1-2, 3.67 ERA) vs. VIRGINIA LHP Brandon Waddell (3-1, 3.49 ERA)
WEEKEND NEWS AND NOTES
• After capturing a 5-2 win over FGCU on the road at Hammond Stadium Wednesday, No. 25 Miami continue its challenging ACC slate with a visit from No. 3 Virginia for a series beginning Sat., March 22.
• Miami’s three-game series will be fully carried on the ESPN family of networks. Saturday and Sunday’s games will be broadcast on ESPN3, while the finale will serve as the ESPNU "ACC Monday" series opener at 7 p.m.
• The all-time series between the Hurricanes and Cavaliers is tied 20-20, with
Miami holding a slight 10-9 advantage inside Mark Light Field. The Hurricanes dropped two of three on the road at Davenport Field in the annual matchup between the two teams in 2013.
• After struggling through the first month of the season, sophomore slugger David Thompson has turned it up a notch. Thompson is hitting at a .424 clip over his past 10 games with two doubles, one triple and six RBI. He has recorded a .525 on-base percentage over that span.
• Over his last two starts, redshirt sophomore Andrew Suarez has allowed two earned runs in 16.0 innings of work (1.12 ERA). He went 9.0 innings against Georgia Tech but earned a no-decision.
• Senior Dale Carey is 12 for his last 40 (.300) over the last 10 games entering the series with Virginia. He has team-high totals of 12 hits, 12 runs and four doubles over that stretch.
• Freshman Willie Abreu has settled into a groove entering the middle of March. The Hialeah, Fla., native, hitting third in the lineup, is batting .340 with 18 hits and 12 runs scored in the last 15 games.
• Miami is tied for the lead ACC with 13 home runs through its first 22 games of the regular season. Dale Carey leads the team with four homers, Zack Collins has three, and Garrett Kennedy and Tyler Palmer have two each.
• The offense already has three multi-homerun games this season after recording just two in all of 2013: games one and two against Florida (Feb. 21 & 22) and game one against Georgia Tech (March 14). Miami is 3-0 in 2014 when hitting more than one home run.
• Miami did not record its 13th home run in 2013 until an 11-7 win over Georgia Tech on May 17 - the team’s 55th game of the season. The Hurricanes hit just 14 home runs collectively last season.
• The Hurricane offense exploded for six home runs in its series with Florida (Feb. 21-23), the most for a Miami team in a single series since an April 2010 weekend set at Virginia Tech.