GAME INFORMATION – GAME 26
MIAMI HURRICANES (13-12, 5-4 ACC) vs. FLORIDA GULF COAST EAGLES (16-8, 3-0 A--SUN)
Coral Gables, Fla. • Alex Rodriguez Park at Mark Light Field (4,999)
Wed., March 26, 2014 (6 p.m. ET)
HurricaneSports.com Canes All-Access ($) • WVUM 90.5 FM | WVUM.org
Miami leads the all-time series between the two schools by a commanding 9-1-0 margin, including a 5-1 record at Mark Light Field. The Hurricanes captured an extra-innings victory over FGCU last week at Hammond Stadium.
MIAMI RHP Derik Beauprez (0-0, 1.69 ERA) vs. FGCU RHP Zack Tillery (1-1, 2.40 ERA)
WEEKEND NEWS AND NOTES
• After capturing a 5-2 win over Florida Gulf Coast last Wednesday on the road in Fort Myers (March 19), the Hurricanes will take on the Eagles at Mark Light Field Wednesday at 6 p.m. Miami will start Derik Beauprez (0-0), and FGCU will start Zack Tillery (1-1).
• With last Wednesday’s game tied up 2-2 in the top of the tenth, freshman Willie Abreu delivered a go-ahead RBI single. Brad Fieger and Garrett Kennedy helped Miami pad its lead to 5-2, and Bryan Garcia pitched three scoreless innings of relief.
• Miami leads the all-time series between the two schools by a commanding 9-1 margin. The Hurricanes lead the all-time series 5-1 at Mark Light Field and are a perfect 4-0 in Fort Myers.
MILESTONES FOR MORRIS...
• Head coach Jim Morris became just the eighth coach in the history of Division I baseball to accumulate 1,400 wins when Miami beat Boston College 5-2 on March 8.
• Two weeks later, Morris won his 900th game with the Hurricanes in a 7-1 upset of No. 3 Virginia on March 22. Morris ranks second in wins in Miami history behind the late Ron Fraser (1,267).
• Morris ranks fourth among active Division I coaches in career victories (1,404) and eighth all-time in the category.
• Junior LHP Chris Diaz picked up his third win over a ranked opponent this season in a 7-1 victory over No. 3 Virginia (March 22). Diaz has earned a win in five of his six starts and is tied for first in the ACC with five wins. He ranks 17th in the ACC with a 2.58 ERA.
• Diaz, who ranked second in the ACC in ERA in 2013 (1.64), did not pick up his fifth win of the 2013 season until May 10 against Wake Forest. He finished 2013 with a 7-5 record.
• The Hurricanes have won every single one of Diaz’ starts in 2014, including victories over then-No. 23 Florida (2/14), No. 1 FSU (2/28) and No. 3 Virginia (3/22). Miami has not lost a game started by Diaz since the 2013 ACC Tournament in a 7-1 loss to NC State (May 24).