Earlier in the spring evaluation period, I wrote this article looking ahead at the 2015 recruiting cycle. In it, I gave a short term plan. Let's revisit it:
Short Term Plan
Other blips on the radar
- Miami is actively and aggressively pursuing RB Jordan Scarlett (5'10 207lbs) and WR Devante Peete (6'5" 195lbs), teammates from national powerhouse St. Thomas Aquinas in Ft. Lauderdale, FL. Scarlett, a transfer from University School, is committed to FAU, but has continued to be courted by nationally elite BCS programs who may be making an impact on him. I've maintained since his commitment that he wouldnt' end up at FAU, even despite the fact that his former HS coach is the new RB coach there. For Peete, he fits the mold of a big, physical, possession receiver. He's widely considered to be a Miami lean, and would give the Canes another weapon on offense.
- Another WR Miami is after (and is arguably the #1 target at this position) is New Jersey product Irvin Charles (6'4" 212lbs). He's a big, athletic receiver with great tools. He recently listed Miami in his top group, along with Penn State, Louisville, Michigan State, and others. With the connections Al Golden has to the Northeast, I fully expect Charles to be a serious candidate to be in this class. Check out the highlights below. Kid can play.
- Miami still feels good about the recruitment of TE Devonaire Clarington (6'6" 230lbs). After playing with Jordan Cronkrite and Tim Irvin at Westminster Christian for the past 2 seasons, Claringinton will play his senior year at Champagnat Catholic in Hialeah, FL. Yes, that's the same school Travonte Valentine attended last year. Despite that fact, Miami's chances are good with Clarington, who was profiled by Bud Elliott of SBN Recruiting here.
- People have been getting restless about Tim Irvin and Jaquan Johnson and the fact that while they're thought to be heavy Cane leans, they haven't committed as yet. Patience, people. I haven't heard anything to make me think that either one ends up elsewhere. Do with that as you will.
- ATH Deon Cain is still being recruited. And, having Dwayne Lawson, Scott Patchan and Ryan Fines all being on board as commits from the Tampa area so far could work in our favor.
- WR Calvin Ridley and S Shawn Burgess-Becker remain committed to Alabama, but there are rumors they are wavering on their commitments. Nothing concrete yet, but just keep an eye on them throughout this process, especially this summer.
- Rumors are flying around about ATH Torrance Gibson. He's been suspended from both his school and the football team for an altercation, the details of which are in dispute. He's a high profile player who Miami is recruiting, but doesn't figure to be in this class. For more on the aforementioned situation, click here.
- Miami has given out over 300 offers for the 2015 class. Missing from those who have been offered is CB Davante Davis (6'3" 200lbs) from Booker T. Washington HS in Miami, FL. Davis, who transferred to BTW from Homestead this spring, recently committed to Syracuse and has seen his recruitment pick up since. He lists offers from Louisville, Georgia, Ohio State, and most recently, Alabama. He has the skills to play at a high BCS level, and if Miami wants to be involved in his recruitment, many believe that the Canes should offer sooner rather than later. Bud Elliott scouted Davis, and tells you about him here.
- Lastly, I've said this both in articles and on the SOTU podcast, but look for this class to see movement once the Al Golden Football Camps start in June. That's when we got 8 or 9 commits last year, and similar success could easily come this year.