First the Highlights:
- Jim Larranaga warned us during the preseason that this team would need some time to gel with 9 new players. It appears his prognostications are true to form, as too often UM looks like they just don't have great team chemistry on either end of the court. The good news is, that it's bound to improve as they continue to feel each other out. The bad news is, they have to do facing ACC quality opposition.
- Manu Lecomte was not spectacular today, (7 points in 24 minutes) but nailed a huge triple when BC tied the game at 50 in the closing minutes. Hopefully his confidence is back. The 'Canes are a much more dangerous team when he is productive.
- It often appears Angel Rodriguez takes too many shots (6-14 today), but he looks like the only Alpha dog out there (for now). Up and until Sheldon McClellan and Deandre Burnett are more consistently aggressive, Angel will need to continue to look for his own shot.
- Ivan Cruz Uceda returns to action next weekend Vs Notre Dame. His return can not come soon enough. Anytime Tonye Jekiri goes for the block and misses, it is almost always an automatic offensive rebound for the opposition.
- Speaking of Jekiri, he is inline for the "Most Improved" award in the Conference. All 13 points (5-7 from the floor) and 15 rebounds were needed today.
- UM shortened their bench today, with Joe Thomas seeing 1 minute, James Palmer getting 3, and JaQuan Newton not appearing. Do not read too much into this. Coach L has hinted he will adjust his rotations based on opponent.
Additional Notes (Courtesy UM)
* With 13 points and 15 rebounds, Tonye Jekiri tallied his second double-double of the season and third of his career. The last time was Dec. 22, 2014 against Providence.
* Jekiri’s 13 points tied a season high, which he scored vs. South Alabama (Nov. 28).
* Jekiri’s 15 rebounds topped his previous ACC high of 13 (at NC State, 3/1/14) and were one shy of his career best 16 rebounds vs. Akron Nov. 21, 2014.
* With 15 rebounds, Jekiri posted double-digit boards for the seventh time this season.
* With 13 points, Jekiri has scored in double digits four times this season.
* Angel Rodriguez scored 17 points against the Eagles, his fourth-straight game in double digits and 12th of the season. He has notched at least 15 points in eight outings.
*Sheldon McClellan tallied 10+ points for the 12th straight game, notching 11 against Boston College.
*Five Hurricanes knocked down a 3-pointer against Boston College: Deandre Burnett, Manu Lecomte, Sheldon McClellan, Angel Rodriguez and Omar Sherman.
*Five Hurricanes dished out multiple assists against the Eagles: Deandre Burnett (2), Manu Lecomte (2), Sheldon McClellan (2), Angel Rodriguez (3) and Omar Sherman (2).