Ivan Cruz Uceda
Senior F-C 6'10 217 Madrid, Spain (Harcum College, Pa)
2014-15 Stats: 21 games (missed first 16 NCAA transfer rules) 5.2 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 33.9% 3P%
- Has a very quick release when shooting from deep. And terrific range (sample below).
- Very good hands, and adequate if not spectacular on the glass.
- Nice skill set overall, can pass well, and knocks down his FTs.
- Limited athletically which makes him a liability at times, especially on pick and roll/individual defense.
- Does not establish position well enough to get post touches, which relegates him to mostly jump shooting on the offensive end.
Summary: The really good news here, is that Coach L raved about how much better Uceda's conditioning is coming into this season compared to last. That should help him both in rebounding and defense, the two areas he needs the most improvement. I still don't expect ICU to play heavy minutes in 2015-16, but he will be needed at times to spell Tonye Jekiri & Kamari Murphy, especially now that Omar Sherman has transferred. If he can come in and play 10-12 minutes a game, knock down some open jumpers, and just hold his own down low it will be a huge plus for this team. Anything on top of that would be gravy. Look for subtle improvements this season from Uceda, even if his numbers are about the same as last season's. He may not be a superstar, but he can fill a role for this team and help toward ACC contention and a berth in the NCAA Tournament.