Let me start with this, Clemson is a really good team.
But they aren't so good that they should look like the 01' Hurricanes Vs McNeese State.
It was that bad. Historic bad.
I don't know what the game plan was on defense, but there was no adjustment or plan B, that is for sure.
The offensive line was manhandled by the Tigers front. It was so bad Brad Kaaya was knocked from the game with a concussion.
I just don't see how you can make a case for Al Golden and his staff after this one. I am not a fan of mid season firings, but who could argue against it at this point?
Some particulars below.
- Included Willis McGahee and Kellen Winslow:
#Canes fans have their first reason to cheer today: Hall of Fame inductees introduced in the end zone.— Manny Navarro (@Manny_Navarro) October 24, 2015
- That's it. This was as poor a performance as you could ever have imagined. Worse perhaps.
- The Clemson O made it look easy on an opening 8 play 82 yard TD drive that concluded by completing fooling the D on Jordan Leggett's TD catch.
Four Miami rushers ran past five Clemson OL statues. Screen went from Watson to Leggett, 34 yard TD. 7-0 Clemson 12:19 1Q.— Matt Porter (@mattyports) October 24, 2015
- The second drive was even easier. And the lack of composure is not at all a good thing.
Because the big run, the TD and the 14-0 deficit weren't bad enough, Juwon Young with an unsportsmanlike conduct call. Yeesh.— Christy Chirinos (@ChristyChirinos) October 24, 2015
- Clemson had 212 yards of offense in the 1st Q. No misprint.
- The Tigers rushed 2 against 5 and Kaaya still got planted and knocked from the game by Shaq Lawson. What else is there to say about the O line at this point?
- This... really??? This team isn't just bad, they are undisciplined. There were a few more even after this tweet.
5 personal foul penalties on Miami already. 4 facemasks.— StateOfTheU.com (@TheStateOfTheU) October 24, 2015
- Not even ugly anymore that they exist. Ugly that they can't be disputed.
As usual, an anti-Al Golden banner plane has arrived. "Our pilot has as many top 25 wins" hashtag Fire Al Golden pic.twitter.com/fMDoPdjIom— Matt Porter (@mattyports) October 24, 2015
Cheaper than flying banners pic.twitter.com/1Rh3IyZG4p— Brody Logan (@BrodyLogan) October 24, 2015
The RT position remains a ridiculously glaring weakness. Danny Isidora is not doing any better than Sunny Odogwu. Kc McDermott, also struggling. Not much else going well for this unit either.
Rare 1st Q misread by Kaaya was costly when this was still a game (5 minutes in).
Malik Rosier struggled in his first extended game experience.
Just awful. There aren't enough superlatives to describe the atrocious play by this unit.
Special Teams -
22 yard punt by Justin Vogel in the first quarter was ugly. His second quarter 73 yard bomb downed at the 1 was amazing though. Probably could have spared this group the F, but this was a team flop.
Nothing is improving. I don't know why assignment football Vs the speed option is an impossibility for this team, but at some point that has to fall on the coaches.
I don't think any strategy would have worked on offense today as they were too severely disadvantaged up front. But I didn't see adjustments or attempts at them here either.
Overall, the kids weren't ready to play. Just a flat out awful and unprepared looking group.
Again I simply don't know how Golden and his staff survive this debacle regardless of how the season plays out going forward (a mid season dismissal still seems like a long shot but frankly would be hard to argue against).
Who honestly believes this team will compete for the Coastal anyhow?
This loss may be the one that KOs the season. At least it wasn't FSU?!