So, I said I'd be going to daily updates. And, as a man of my word, here we are. Let's get it poppin'
Sam Bruce reaffirms his commitment to Miami
Yeah, I know Sam Bruce was already committed to Miami. But, he was looking around and evaluating his options.
But, in the end, Bruce realized there's no place like home and renewed his pledge to the University of Miami. Read the article below.
4-star DT visits Miami
As you know, Miami is still/always looking for DTs to add to the roster. In that effort, the Canes were able to get uncommitted 4-star Kobe Jones to visit campus on Monday.
Jones, who is from Starkville, MS, has been linked with hometown Mississippi State Bulldogs (where new Miami DC Manny Diaz used to coach, btw), Alabama (he visited there last weekend), and Ole Miss, among others. Jones has the kind of talent that Miami would love to add to the roster, so his visiting campus is a good positive.
Before you go thinking this is a done deal, it's far from it. Jones' interest/contact with Miami has popped up only recently, so, while getting him on campus is better than the alternative, there's still a long ways to go. While you ponder that, here are Jones' highlights:
Randrecous Davis decommits from Georgia
After conflicting reports bouncing back and forth on twitter for the majority of the afternoon, it became clear that WR Randrecous Davis had, in fact, decommitted from Georgia.
As happens with many coaching changes, Davis, a 3-star talent, said he hadn't received much communication from the new UGA staff, and was unsure about his place in their class. As such, he chose to decommit and evaluate his options.
I said before that I was shocked that Davis didn't flip to Miami on his visit last weekend, and I maintain that view. Multiple reports have said that Davis lists Miami at the top of his list at the moment. He's scheduled to visit South Carolina this weekend. Barring the BEST VISIT EVER to South Carolina on January 29th, it is my expectation that Davis will commit to Miami and be a part of this class on National Signing Day.
Romeo Finley emerging as top target
Miami continues their pursuit of 4-star DB Romeo Finley from Niceville, FL. (Yes, that's a real place. Look it up). Anyways, according to Canesport.com, Finley received a visit from Safeties coach Ephraim Banda and Cornerbacks coach Mike Rumph at his school today.
Finley, who will visit Coral Gables this coming weekend, is among the biggest uncommitted targets left on the board for Miami. He's exactly the kind of Safety Banda and DC Manny Diaz want for the new attacking 4-3 scheme. Georgia Tech is thought to be Miami's biggest competition for Finley at the moment. Highlights below:
Shyheim Carter takes surprise visit
A 4-star recruit and elite CB prospect, Kentwood (LA) native Shyheim Carter has taken visits to Miami and Alabama among others.
While it's widely thought that Alabama is the team to beat here, LSU may be making a push. AND, thusly, dropping Miami further down the list for this talented player. At this point, absent a recruiting miracle, it's safe to assume Carter will be taking his talents somewhere other than South Beach.
Recruiting battles: Miami vs Tennessee
In case you missed it, former UM TE coach and Interim HC Larry Scott now works at Tennessee. And, he's leading a charge for the Volunteers to try and poach players committed to Miami.
Right now, the battle lines are clear: WR Latrell Williams and CB Tyler Byrd.
Williams visited Knoxville last weekend and may or may not have decommitted (there was some sketchy twitter shenanigans. Check yesterday's update for more). Williams, a late rising player with 4.35 speed, may be considering a flip to the Vols.
Byrd is set to visit Knoxville this weekend (his friend and HS teammate is a Vols commit) and Scott is trying to get Byrd to join him up in the SEC East.
On top of that, Tennessee offered one of Miami's 2017 commits today, and have been closely linked to others. I don't know where this has come from, but the Vols really think that Miami is a minor league team for them. "We'll just offer the guys Miami has offered and take the guys committed to them" kind of thing.
And hey, if they want the competition, I say bring it on. I'm confident we'll hold our own just fine against Tennessee, both on the field, and in recruiting.
Bring it, Vols!
Other Blips on the Radar:
- Even with Sam Bruce's recommmitment, Miami is nowhere near done at WR in this class. Randrecous Davis is still out there (and likely to be in the class). Mark Richt visited top JUCO target Javon Wims on Monday. There's also Eli Stove, who visits this weekend, and Latrell Williams, who may or may not still be committed to Miami (who knows), and the crown jewel of all the WR targets: Ahmmon Richards.
- Mark Richt visited TE prospect Jovani Haskins on Monday. Miami still trails West Virginia at the moment
- OL target Lucas Niang committed to TCU. This was expected after word started spreading that Niang's parents weren't sold on their son attending school in Miami.
- DT Marcel Southall is rising up the board. This is both due to his potential at the position and Miami's inability to close on other targets (Glen Logan, I'm looking at you). Southall might be the Canes best and last chance to get a very good prospect at the DT position. Keep an eye on him.
- Speaking of attainable targets, Pittsburgh CB commit Henry Miller is considering a flip to Miami. We should know his intentions soon.
- Another CB, UF commit Christopher "CJ" McWilliams, was said to have enjoyed his visit to Coral Gables last weekend. There are also rumors that McWilliams' mom wants him to stay local. The 3-star CB is considering Miami, USF, and UF.
- Yet another CB, recent commit Malek Young, is 100% locked in with Miami after a great visit weekend.
- Stop me if you've heard this before, but Miami is set to host another big recruiting weekend this weekend. This one will have less players visiting, most likely, but there are still high level targets coming to campus. We'll talk more about this on Thursday.
- Last thing, but after getting Bruce to recommit, I'm still waiting to see the first big get for this staff. Getting Southall? Flipping Isaiah Chambers? Ahmmon Richards? Javon Wims? Other? There's momentum building, but that has to pay off with this staff reeling in a big fish. Just waiting for it to happen.
That's it for today. Be sure you check back for all the recruiting updates you could possibly need. Maybe.