Alright guys. We're getting down towards the end of this recruiting cycle. Even with that being the case, there's plenty of work to be done to close out this class.
At no position is this more readily apparent than Wide Receiver.
Borrowing from my weekly Class Breakdown (which you should all be reading, by the way), here's how I look at the WR position in this class:
4+ commits in 2016
3 players currently committed: Sam Bruce, Dionte Mullins, andLatrell Williams
Bruce and Mullins are 100% committed. Williams, a late rising player who is just now experiencing high level recruitment, is still committed to Miami, but Tennessee is trying to make a move. He's not as solid as the other 2 commits, but he's still listing Miami on top, so that's a positive, for sure.
Miami still has many targets at WR for this class. The Canes only have 5 (6?) Scholarship receivers on the roster right now, so a big infusion of talent at this position is absolutely necessary. The targets are, in alphabetical order:
- 3-star Randrecous Davis. Was committed to Georgia for a long time when Mark Richt was their coach. Recently decommitted from Georgia after not having heard from the new staff. Miami and South Carolina thought to be finalists.
- 3-star Kelvin Harmon. Was committed to South Carolina, but decommitted. Big bodied possession receiver lists Miami and NC State as his finalists ahead of a Monday announcement.
- 4-star Nate Johnson. Record setting WR from Tennessee is committed to Michigan. Lists Michigan, Notre Dame, and Miami as his finalists. Will announce on NSD or shortly before.
- 4-star Ahmmon Richards. Former Miami commit is being heavily pursued by Alabama, Auburn, and Miami. Canceled OV to Tennessee (was never going there anyways) and is focused on making his decision for an announcement on NSD.
- 4-star Tyler Simmons. A recent commit to Alabama, Simmons is a player that Miami is just getting connected with. He could potentially visit Coral Gables this weekend.
- 3-star Dredrick Snelson. A former Miami and Minnesota commit, Snelson is a player who is still being recruited by many. He has an OV to Penn State this weekend.
- 4-star Eli Stove. An Auburn commit, Stove is a talented player who could find a home on any roster in America. He's set to visit campus this weekend.
- 3-star Latrell Williams. While Williams is still committed to Miami, there is work to be done to keep him in this class. I'm not going to put him on the target rankings list, but I just wanted to be sure that I included that in the article.
- 4-star Javon Wims. A Georgia commit who is originally from South Florida (he attended Carol City High School, which has produced MANY Canes over the last 20 years), Wims is being recruited by Richt and Thomas Brown now that they are employed by Miami.
So, now that you know the recruiting situation at WR, and the available targets, let's get to the rankings
- Ahmmon Richards. Best player on this list AND has the highest ceiling. Clear #1 target.
- Javon Wims. He is a very nice talent and can come in and play right away.
- Eli Stove. I like his playmaking ability in a variety of ways. Oh, and speed is always good to get.
- Tyler Simmons. If we Miami had been connected to him for longer, he might be higher up on this list.
- Nate Johnson. 3000+ yards and 44 TDs in the last 2 years. VERY good, but may not have the same ceiling as the first 4 guys.
- Randrecous Davis. Still shocked he hasn't committed yet. Nice player, but lacking the elite physicality on either size or speed or both of the first 5 players listed.
- Kelvin Harmon. A clear backup plan in my opinion. Is 6'3", and you can't teach that.
- Dredrick Snelson. Not a fan. Especially considering the commits we have, I'd take literally any and all of the other targets before him.