Game Time: 9 p.m | Cassell Coliseum — Blacksburg, Va.
Broadcast: ESPN2, WQAM560 | Stream: WatchESPN
All-Time Series: Miami leads 20-13 | Current Streak: Miami won 1
Senior Day has come and gone, but the storm Jim Larranaga, Bruce Brown and the Miami Hurricanes (20-8, 10-6 ACC) have been riding on is still wreaking havoc.
Nearly two weeks after defeating Georgia Tech to kickstart the current 4-game winning streak, the ‘Canes travel, once again, to Virginia, their second time in seven days. If the results are nearly as promising as last week’s Virginia-bound road trip, Coach Larranaga will be KodakBlackDance.Gif-ing in the visitors’ locker room by 11:30 p.m tonight.
Virginia Tech (20-8, 9-7 ACC) is no slouch itself. But, forget about the 2017 Hokies for a second, and remember that time Miami took VT down 88-82 in an ACC Tournament quarterfinal matchup last year. Ah, a wonderful time, it was. Davon Reed and Ja’Quan Newton led the way that night, but, this time the duo has freshman sensation Bruce Brown — currently on a tear like no other ‘Canes rookie in recent memory — to lend his helping hand.
The defense will be key, as it was against Virginia and Saturday against Duke. The ‘Canes held the Dookies to 31.8% (21-66) from the field, and 23.8% (5-21) from three. Not to mention, the Blue Devils scored just 50 points, their lowest output since 2009. Remember, this is a Duke team that is ranked second in the ACC in field goal percentage and 3-point percentage.
- In his first year, Brown has now played a total of 70 minutes against No. 9 UNC and No. 10 Duke. In those 70 minutes, the guard’s notched 55 points, nine assists, eight rebounds, four blocks and four steals. Me likey.
- If the past seven days are any indication, Miami likes the State of Virginia. It also likes playing in Virginia on national televised networks such as ESPN. Last week’s gritty win against No. 17 Virginia, in Virginia, on ESPN was just practice for tonight ESPN2 audition against a lesser-opponent.
- Twenty wins (10 ACC) will get you a tournament bid. Twenty-one wins (11 ACC) helps your seed. What a place to be in with two games remaining in the regular season. Who saw this coming?
- Coach L has now posted five 20-win seasons in his first six years coaching at The U
- During his time in Miami, Coach L has coached to a 10W-3L record in thirteen games against the Hokies.