By all accounts, it was a good day of work for the Miami Hurricanes in the first scrimmage of the fall on Saturday morning.
The session, which was closed to media and fans, saw a couple players in the QB battle fare well than others, and a strong performance by the defense.
One thing from the scrimmage that gave Canes fans pause for a quick minute was a report that RB Mark Walton was injured and had to be helped off the field. Asked about this injury after the scrimmage, Head Coach Mark Richt said Walton sustained a “bruised hip” and was very thankful that the injury wasn’t worse. Obviously, all Canes fans feel the same, as Walton is arguably the least dispensable player on Miami’s roster this season.
For more narrative on the scrimmage, including stats from the simulated game, here are recaps from several other journalists:
Matt Porter of The Palm Beach Post
FULL RECAP OF MARK RICHT'S POST-SCRIMMAGE PRESSER: https://t.co/2KH36cAoZX— Matt Porter (@mattyports) August 12, 2017
Christy Cabrera Chirinos of The South Florida Sun-Sentinel
Updated with all UM's stats and some fresh video of Mark Richt after today's Canes scrimmage at Hard Rock Stadium...https://t.co/afhjc3sTic— Christy Chirinos (@ChristyChirinos) August 12, 2017
Christopher Stock of InsideTheU.com
QB Malik Rosier Has Big Day in First Fall Scrimmage https://t.co/w68PZ5MuGp— InsideTheU.com (@InsideTheU) August 12, 2017
David Lake of InsideTheU.com
*FREE* Defense Has the Edge in First Scrimmage of Fall Camp https://t.co/UnLfl6CpBG— InsideTheU.com (@InsideTheU) August 12, 2017
Susan Miller Degnan of The Miami Herald
NEW: Freshmen quarterbacks rattled and Mark Walton injured in first @CanesFootball scrimmage. https://t.co/NR4FXkFvCS @HeraldSports pic.twitter.com/M8wGbrZuqd— Susan Miller Degnan (@smillerdegnan) August 12, 2017
- Rosier’s numbers were very strong. So were Shirreffs’
- Perry’s numbers left something to be desired for sure.
- Weldon seemed overmatched by the numbers.
- QB stats come with a grain of salt bc we don’t know which QBs faced which defense (1s or 2s).
- Love the run game numbers, with the exception of Homer’s fumble.
- Receivers got off. And that’s without Jeff Thomas or Evidence Njoku playing.
- Defense continues to flash dominance.
- REALLY excited for Scott Patchan. Adding him to the rotation would be huge.
Those are my quick thoughts. Share yours in the comments below. Only 21 days remain between now and the season opener!!