ACC Power Rankings - Week 6
1. Clemson Tigers 5-0 (LW: 1), Week 5 Result: 27-23 W vs Syracuse, Next: @ Wake Forest 10/6 3:30pm ET
Syracuse gave the Tigers everything they could handle. Luckily, Clemson was able to still escape with a victory despite being down to their 3rd string QB. The invincibility of the defending ACC Champs was questioned, but it may be premature, as the injury to Trevor Lawrence doesn’t appear to be as bad as we originally thought.
2. Miami Hurricanes 4-1 (LW: 2), Week 5 Result: 47-10 W vs North Carolina, Next: vs Florida State 10/6 3:30pm ET
The Turnover Chain was taken out of the box 6 times last Thursday night, 3 of those times resulted in touchdowns. That level of production is obviously unsustainable, but a defense that dominant is why the Canes can still have conference championship aspirations. Next up, some school from Tallahassee.
3. NC State Wolfpack 4-0 (LW: 3), Week 5 Result: 35-21 W vs UVA, Next: vs BC 10/6 12:30pm ET
QB Ryan Finley continues to fling the ball all over the field, and the Wolfpack are still undefeated. They need to avoid looking ahead to their week 8 matchup with Clemson, as Boston College and AJ Dillon come to town this weekend.
4. Virginia Tech Hokies 3-1 (LW: 7), Week 5 Result: 31-14 W @ Duke, Next: vs Notre Dame 10/6 8:00pm ET
The Hokies righted the ship after the Old Dominion debacle by trouncing an undefeated Duke squad. If they want to return to the national spotlight they had after blowing out FSU week 1, they’ll have to contain a Notre Dame squad that is firing on all cylinders in primetime.
5. Syracuse Orange 4-1 (LW: 4), Week 5 Result: 23-27 L @ Clemson, Next: @ Pittsburgh 10/6 12:20pm ET
They almost pulled off the upset of Clemson for the second year in a row, but it wasn’t meant to be. The Orange should be able to rebound quickly against lowly Pittsburgh this weekend.
6. Boston College Eagles 4-1 (LW: 6), Week 5 Result: 45-35 W vs Temple, Next: vs NC State 10/6 12:30pm ET
BC’s offense performed as well as you’d think they should against a team like Temple, but their defense’s performance looked like a callback to the week before when the Eagles were being pummeled by Purdue. They’ll need another great offensive performance and some impact plays on defense to take down NC State.
7. Duke Blue Devils 4-1 (LW: 5), Week 5 Result: 14-31 L vs Virginia Tech, Next: BYE
QB Daniel Jones returned to the lineup Saturday, but that was not enough to keep pace with Virginia Tech. The Blue Devils get an extra week to lick their wounds, as they’re off during Week 6.
8. Wake Forest Demon Deacons 3-2 (LW: 10), Week 5 Result: 56-24 W vs Rice, Next: vs Clemson 10/6 3:30pm ET
The Demon Deacons took advantage of their easy week after taking a beating from Notre Dame and before a date with mighty Clemson. Wake has the offense, but their defense will have to flourish in the next 5 days for them to have a chance against the Tigers.
9. Virginia Cavaliers 3-2 (LW: 8), Week 5 Result: 21-35 L @ NC State, Next: BYE
UVA continues to look more like a mid-tier team as opposed to the ACC dumpster fire. Olamide Zacchaeus is one of the top athletes in the ACC. The Cavaliers are off this week, so they’ll have 2 weeks of preparation ahead of their game against Miami on 10/13.
10. Florida State Seminoles 3-2 (LW: 10), Week 5 Result: 28-24 W @ Louisville, Next: @ Miami 10/6 3:30pm ET
2 wins in a row! The Noles are “catching fire” just in time for their annual rivalry game, where they open as 12-point underdogs. Willie Taggart would regain much of the FSU contingent with a win over the Canes.
11. Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets 2-3 (LW: 13), Week 5 Result: 63-17 W vs Bowling Green, Next: @ Louisville 10/5 7:00pm ET
The Yellow Jackets were back to their old ways, racking up 372 rushing yards and 8 rushing touchdowns against Bowling Green. They can return to .500 with a win over the floundering Louisville Cardinals on Saturday.
12. Pittsburgh Panthers 2-3 (LW: 12), Week 5 Result: 14-45 L vs UCF, Next: vs Syracuse 10/6 12:20pm ET
Pitt was hoping to turn a corner earlier in the season, but now find themselves limping into a matchup with a Syracuse team a couple minutes away from taking down the top team on this list. It’s not looking good for the Panthers.
13. Louisville Cardinals 2-3 (LW: 14), Week 5 Result: 24-28 L @ FSU, Next: vs Georgia Tech 10/5 7:00pm ET
If not for a late 4th quarter collapse, the Cardinals would be sitting pretty above .500 and much higher up on this list. Instead, Louisville found a way to dig their own post-Lamar Jackson grave.
14. North Carolina Tar Heels 1-3 (LW: 11), Week 5 Result: 10-47 L @ Miami, Next: BYE
It’s a matter of time before the Tar Heels are looking for a new coach. They’ll have plenty of time to sit with the bad taste in their mouths after their Thursday night disaster as UNC doesn’t return to the field until 10/13 against Virginia Tech.
Do you agree with the movement in the rankings? Let us know in the comments below.