ACC Power Rankings - Week 9
1. Clemson Tigers 7-0 (LW: 1), Week 8 Result: 41-7 W vs NC State, Next: @ Florida State 10/27 12:00 ET
A month ago, Clemson looked closer to the rest of the pack than anyone could have imagined. After their 34-point drubbing of the #2 team on this list, the gap appears insurmountable once again.
2. NC State Wolfpack 5-1 (LW: 2), Week 8 Result: 7-41 L @ Clemson, Next: @ Syracuse 10/27 7:00pm ET
The Wolfpack’s only loss this season has come at the hands of the #2 team in the country. That keeps them at #2 on this list despite being completely overmatched by the visiting Tigers this past weekend.
3. Virginia Tech Hokies 4-2 (LW: 3), Week 8 Result: Bye, Next: vs Georgia Tech 10/25 7:30pm ET
The Coastal division leaders remained in that position another week by not playing. To stay there another week, however, they’ll have to deal with the always-tricky triple option as Georgia Tech comes to town.
4. Virginia Cavaliers 4-2 (LW: 5), Week 8 Result: 28-14 W @ Duke, Next: vs North Carolina 10/27 12:20pm ET
Virginia Tech’s cross-state rivals are breathing down the Hokies’ necks after another solid conference win over Duke. The Cavalier defense has made UVA a viable contender for the Coastal division.
5. Boston College Eagles 5-2 (LW: 4), Week 8 Result: Bye, Next: vs Miami 10/26 7:00pm ET
The Eagles are favored by 4 points as Miami flies up north in a battle of strength vs strength, as BC’s strong rushing attack will try to move one of the best rushing defenses in the country.
6. Miami Hurricanes 5-2 (LW: 6), Week 8 Result: Bye, Next: @ Boston College 10/26 7:00pm ET
Canes fans are eager to see the result of the team’s soul searching during the bye week. Something needs to change for an offense that managed only 13 points against Virginia.
7. Syracuse Orange 5-2 (LW: 8), Week 8 Result: 40-37 W vs UNC, Next: vs NC State 10/27 7:00pm ET
The Orange went to OT for a second time this season, but emerged victorious this time. After watching NC State get trounced by Clemson, Syracuse should feel confident based on their week 5 performance against the reigning ACC champs.
8. Duke Blue Devils 5-2 (LW: 7), Week 8 Result: 14-28 L vs Virginia, Next: @ Pittsburgh 10/27 3:30pm ET
The Blue Devils have lost 2 of their last 3 after a 4-0 start. Both losses came in ACC games, putting Duke slightly off the pace in the Coastal division.
9. Pittsburgh Panthers 3-4 (LW: 9), Week 8 Result: Bye, Next: vs Duke 10/27 3:30pm ET
The Panthers will hope to earn a quality conference victory this week against a vulnerable Duke squad as they currently sit just a game behind Virginia Tech in the Coastal race, despite their 3-4 overall record.
10. Florida State Seminoles 4-3 (LW: 12), Week 8 Result: 38-17 W vs Wake Forest, Next: vs Clemson 10/27 12:00pm ET
The Noles are the biggest movers in the rankings this week after a convincing win against Wake Forest. Can FSU go for broke against Clemson and give the Tigers a scare on Saturday?
11. Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets 3-4 (LW: 10), Week 8 Result: Bye, Next: @ Virginia Tech 10/25 7:30pm ET
The Yellow Jackets have struggled to find consistency on offense, and it won’t get any easier as they head to Blacksburg to face the Virginia Tech defense.
12. Wake Forest Demon Deacons 3-4 (LW: 11), Week 8 Result: 17-38 L @ FSU, Next: @ Louisville 10/27 12:00pm ET
After stumbling last week against FSU, the Demon Deacons get a great opportunity to turn things around against Louisville this week.
13. Louisville Cardinals 2-5 (LW: 13), Week 8 Result: Bye, Next: vs Wake Forest 10/27 12:00pm ET
The harsh reality for the Cardinals: they must go 4-1 in their last 5 games just to become bowl eligible. Their opponents in those games are Wake Forest, Clemson, Syracuse, NC State, and a 12th-ranked Kentucky team. Yikes.
14. North Carolina Tar Heels 1-5 (LW: 14), Week 8 Result: 37-40 L @ Syracuse, Next: @ Virginia 10/27 12:20pm ET
In 2015, UNC went 11-3 and won the Coastal division. 2016 they went 8-5, and in 2017 they went 3-9. In 2018, the arrow continues to point down, as this team is headed towards 3-8 or worse.
Do you agree with the movement in the rankings? Let us know in the comments below.