ACC Power Rankings - Week 7
1. Clemson Tigers 6-0 (LW: 1), Week 6 Result: 63-3 W @ Wake Forest, Next: Bye
After a near scare against Syracuse, Clemson returned to their dominant form with a 60-point drubbing of Wake Forest. Trevor Lawrence was back in action and threw 2 touchdown passes. but running back Travis Etienne has emerged as the top offensive weapon for the Tigers.
2. Miami Hurricanes 5-1 (LW: 2), Week 6 Result: 28-27 W vs Florida State, Next: @ Virginia 10/13 8:00pm ET
Down 27-7 in the 3rd quarter against their rival, the Canes appeared to be headed down this list and towards a dark place as a program. 21 unanswered points later, and Miami is back on track towards a possible 2nd straight Coastal Division crown and ACC Championship game appearance. A prime time matchup with a better-than-expected UVA squad is up next for the Canes.
3. NC State Wolfpack 5-0 (LW: 3), Week 6 Result: 28-23 W vs BC, Next: Bye
The Wolfpack remained undefeated with a strong conference win over Boston College, although they had to survive some self-inflected wounds to get there. QB Ryan Finley threw 2 picks, and the special teams allowed a blocked punt that would be returned for a touchdown. Luckily, NC State gets an extra week to clean things up before the toughest game on their schedule: a week 8 matchup with conference-leading Clemson.
4. Virginia Tech Hokies 3-2 (LW: 4), Week 6 Result: 23-45 L vs Notre Dame, Next: @ North Carolina 10/13 7:00pm ET
VaTech hoped to make a statement win to wash away the stain of losing to Old Dominion, but Notre Dame was too much for them to handle. The Hokies are still in the hunt for the Coastal Division, but need to work out some kinks on both sides of the ball if they want to change their recent fortunes.
5. Boston College Eagles 4-2 (LW: 6), Week 6 Result: 23-28 L @ NC State, Next: vs Louisville 10/13 12:30pm ET
Despite missing their best offensive player in AJ Dillon, the Eagles played a solid game in the loss to NC State. BC should be able to handle this week’s matchup against Louisville, but they will need Dillon to return to the offense soon to take some pressure off QB Anthony Brown.
6. Duke Blue Devils 4-1 (LW: 7), Week 6 Result: Bye, Next: @ Georgia Tech 10/13 12:20pm ET
The Blue Devils are hoping the bye week will get QB Daniel Jones closer to 100%, as Duke will need him to put up points, Georgia Tech has scored 126 points in the past two weeks, so Duke’s defense will need to spend some quality time preparing for the triple option.
7. Syracuse Orange 4-2 (LW: 5), Week 6 Result: 37-44 L @ Pittsburgh, Next: Bye
Syracuse appeared to have turned a corner after starting the season 4-0 before giving Clemson everything they could handle, but the Orange are now reeling after dropping two conference games in a row. Their Week 7 bye probably couldn’t have come at a better time.
8. Virginia Cavaliers 3-2 (LW: 9), Week 6 Result: Bye, Next: vs Miami 10/13 8:00pm ET
The Cavaliers had extra time to prepare for their week 7 matchup with Miami, and they will need every bit of their playbook to catch a W in Miami Gardens. WR Olamide Zacchaeus is on-pace for another 1000 yard season, as he has secured over 500 yards and 6 touchdowns so far. Virginia will try to recreate some early season magic as the Canes roll into Charlottesville.
9. Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets 3-3 (LW: 11), Week 6 Result: 66-31 W @ Louisville, Next: vs Duke 10/13 12:20pm ET
For the second week in a row, the Yellow Jackets used the triple option to perfection, following up week 5’s 372-yard 8 touchdown performance with a 542-yard 8 touchdown appearance. Coming to town this week is a tougher test in Duke.
10. Pittsburgh Panthers 3-3 (LW: 12), Week 6 Result: 44-37 W vs Syracuse, Next: @ Notre Dame 10/13 2:30pm ET
In the most shocking result of the weekend, Pitt took down Syracuse in OT just as the Orange seemed to be establishing themselves as an ACC contender. Pitt needs to find some consistency, as this was not the same team that lost to UNC three weeks ago. The Panthers should be a heavy underdog this week as they travel to South Bend.
11. Wake Forest Demon Deacons 3-3 (LW: 8), Week 6 Result: 3-63 L vs Clemson, Next: Bye
The Wake Forest offense was nowhere to be found Saturday against Clemson, but both sides of the ball need lots of attention during the Demon Deacons’ bye week.
12. Florida State Seminoles 3-3 (LW: 10), Week 6 Result: 27-28 L @ Miami, Next: BYE
The Noles appeared to have many of their offensive issues to start the game against Miami, as they stormed out to a 27-7 lead. Things quickly fell apart for FSU and 21 Miami points later, Noles fans are left scratching their heads once again this season.
13. North Carolina Tar Heels 1-3 (LW: 14), Week 6 Result: Bye, Next: vs Virginia Tech 10/13 7:00pm ET
Can the Tar Heels catch a reeling Virginia Tech squad at the perfect time? Doesn’t seem likely, but crazier things have happened in the ACC this season.
14. Louisville Cardinals 2-4 (LW: 13), Week 6 Result: 31-66 L vs Georgia Tech, Next: @ Boston College 10/13 12:30pm ET
The Cardinals are in bad shape, and it could get worse with Boston College next up.
Do you agree with the movement in the rankings? Let us know in the comments below.