On Tuesday afternoon, Ellenwood (GA) Cedar Grove 5-star WR Jadon Haselwood concluded his storied HSFB career with a State Championship winning TD catch with 4 seconds left.
Jadon Haselwood folks. They just don’t throw out those 5-star ratings lightly. Down 13-7. 4th Q. Makes this catch with four seconds to play. Cedar Grove goes on to a 14-13 win for the GHSA Class 3A state title. pic.twitter.com/3FLG528EcD— Jeff Sentell (@jeffsentell) December 11, 2018
After that play, made with 4 seconds left to give the Saints the 2018 Georgia 3A State Championship, Haselwood took to twitter to announce his top 5 schools. It is no surprise that the Miami Hurricanes were on that list.
In addition to the Canes, Haselwood lists Georgia, Florida State, Oklahoma, and Tennessee as his 5 finalists. Each team has a connection to the Nation’s #1 Wide Receiver. For those who haven’t been following this recruitment incessantly, here are those connections:
- Miami. Haselwood has visited campus, and South Florida in general, multiple times, including an Official Visit. Strong relationship with WR Coach Ron Dugans. Multiple reports suggest that the Canes are either the clear team to beat, or tied atop Haselwood’s recruitment with....
- Georgia. The home-state school is one of the hottest programs in the country, and the Dawgs recruit at an elite level. Haselwood was once committed to UGA for nearly 2 years before reopening his recruitment earlier this fall. At or near the top of Haselwood’s recruitment, the Dawgs are working to get the star WR on campus for an Official Visit this weekend.
- Oklahoma. A bit of a darkhorse, Oklahoma is where Haselwood’s father played his College Football. Haselwood took an Official Visit to Norman back in April, but has not returned since. But, in that there is a familial connection to OU, don’t write the Sooners off just yet.
- Florida State. A recent addition, FSU has gotten involved in Haselwood’s recruitment since his decommitment from Georgia. The Nation’s #1 WR has visited Tallahassee, but without an OC in place, I personally find it hard to believe the Noles are a realistic landing spot for Haselwood.
- Tennessee. Haselwood has visited Knoxville multiple times, including for an unofficial visit last weekend. This is another local-ish team that is trying their best to sway the uber-talented WR to their team, but the Vols seem to be on the outside looking in, just like FSU.
While the current intel suggests that Miami and Georgia, either alone or together, are atop Haselwood’s recruitment, all 5 teams on the list will push as hard as possible until Haselwood announces his college destination at the All-American Bowl on January 5th, 2019.
Regardless of the talent on a given roster, no CFB team is too talented or deep in the WR room that they couldn’t use the Nation’s #1 WR recruit on their team. Furthermore, all of the finalist teams have could use additional firepower in the receiving corps, so Haselwood would be a godsend at any of those institutions.
There is still a long way to go, but Miami is still on the list for Jadon Haselwood, and the Canes look to close on one of the best players in America to join the 2019 recruiting class.
More on recruiting in the coming days.