The 3rd week of the season featured 3 ACC Matchups, while Virginia Tech, North Carolina and NC State all had their games cancelled due to Hurricane Florence. Here are this weeks rankings:
ACC Power Rankings - Week 4
1. Clemson Tigers 3-0 (LW: 1), Week 3 Result: 38-7 W vs Georgia Southern, Next: @ Georgia Tech 9/22 3:30pm ET
Clemson easily handled Georgia Southern, but lost starting QB Kelly Bryant in the process. Bryant will be back in action this week for their conference clash with Georgia Tech, but Trevor Lawrence continued the QB controversy with a solid outing in which he was 12 of 19 for 194 yards and a touchdown.
2. Virginia Tech Hokies 2-0 (LW: 2), Week 3 Result: vs East Carolina Canceled, Next: @ Old Dominion 9/22 3:30pm ET
The Hokies had the weekend off due to Hurricane Florence. They return to action this weekend against local FCS foe Old Dominion.
3. Miami Hurricanes 2-1 (LW: 3), Week 3 Result: 49-24 W @ Toledo, Next: vs FIU 9/22 3:30pm ET
The Canes finished strong to quell the upset-minded Toledo Rockets. Malik Rosier had a big day scoring 5 TDs, and will hope to use this weekend’s FIU game to continue to positive momentum.
4. Boston College Eagles 3-0 (LW: 4), Week 3 Result: 41-34 W @ Wake Forest, Next: @ Purdue 9/22 12:00pm ET
BC is nipping at the Canes’ heels after a solid ACC victory last Thursday on the road against Wake Forest. The Eagles are being led by outstanding play from QB Anthony Brown (304 yards & 5 TDs against Wake) as well as Heisman-candidate AJ Dillon (33 carries, 185 yards 1 TD), but the defense will need to get back on track for BC to climb this list.
5. NC State Wolfpack 2-0 (LW: 5), Week 3 Result: vs West Virginia Canceled, Next: @ Marshall 9/22 7:00pm ET
The Wolfpack lost a prime opportunity to make a statement against a talented West Virginia team due to Hurricane Florence. They will travel to the same state next week to take on Marshall in their last non-conference matchup of the season.
6. Syracuse Orange 3-0 (LW: 11), Week 3 Result: 30-7 W vs Florida State, Next: vs UConn 9/22 4:00pm ET
The Orange get the big bump in these rankings due to their complete dismantling of Florida State. Despite losing dual threat QB Eric Dungey early on, Syracuse still managed to put up 30 points with backup Tommy Devito (11/16, 144 yds, 1 TD). Dungey is set to return this week against UConn.
7. Pittsburgh Panthers 2-1 (LW: 10), Week 3 Result: 24-19 W vs Georgia Tech, Next: vs North Carolina 9/22 12:20pm ET
Pitt dealt with Georgia Tech and their troublesome triple option, and have a great opportunity to reel off two straight ACC wins as struggling UNC comes up north to Pittsburgh.
8. Duke Blue Devils 3-0 (LW: 12), Week 3 Result: 40-27 W @ Baylor, Next: vs NC Central 9/22 3:30pm ET
The injuries to starting QB Daniel Jones and CB Mark Gilbert didn’t affect the Blue Devils this past weekend, as they knocked off Baylor on the road. Duke is likely to see Virginia Tech in week 5 in a battle of unbeaten Coastal Division teams.
9. Louisville Cardinals 2-1 (LW: 8), Week 3 Result: 20-17 W vs Western Kentucky, Next: @ Virginia 9/22 12:30pm ET
Louisville is trying to solidify their post-Lamar Jackson offense, which is an ongoing process as the Cardinals squeaked out a 3-point win over Western Kentucky. An Atlantic Division matchup with UVA is their next test.
10. Wake Forest Demon Deacons 2-1 (LW: 9), Week 3 Result: 34-41 L vs Boston College, Next: vs Notre Dame 9/22 12:00pm ET
The Demon Deacons put up a solid effort against a strong Boston College team but came up a touchdown short. The schedule doesn’t get any easier as Notre Dame comes to town this weekend.
11. Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets 1-2 (LW: 7), Week 3 Result: 19-24 L @ Pittsburgh, Next: vs Clemson 9/22 3:30pm ET
The Yellow Jackets are in dire straits after dropping a second straight game. After losing to Pitt, Georgia Tech are staring an 0-2 conference start in the face as Clemson comes to Atlanta this weekend.
12. Virginia Cavaliers 2-1 (LW: 13), Week 3 Result: 45-31 W vs Ohio, Next: vs Louisville 9/22 12:30pm ET
UVA put together a solid win over Ohio behind monster games from WR Olamide Zacchaeus’ (9 receptions, 247 yards & 2 TDs), QB Bryce Perkins (25/30, 379 yards & 3 TDs) and RB Jordan Ellis (19 carries, 171 yards & 3 TDs). Can they continue that success against Louisville to start ACC play?
13. Florida State Seminoles 1-2 (LW: 6), Week 3 Result: 7-30 L @ Syracuse, Next: vs Northern Illinois 9/22 3:30pm ET
Where to begin. Their only win is a comeback victory over Samford. The QB is feuding with his O-Line. Willie Taggart is already feeling the pressure from Noles fans. We thought last year was bad for FSU, this year could end up being worse.
14. North Carolina Tar Heels 0-2 (LW: 14), Week 3 Result: vs UCF Canceled, Next: vs Pittsburgh, 9/22 12:20pm ET
The Tar Heels had their week 3 game against UCF mercifully canceled due to Hurricane Florence. This week, UNC has to find something (anything) as Pitt comes to Chapel Hill.
Do you agree with the movement in the rankings? Let us know in the comments below.