ACC Power Rankings - Week 5
1. Clemson Tigers 4-0 (LW: 1), Week 4 Result: 49-21 W vs Georgia Tech, Next: vs Syracuse 9/29 12:00pm ET
The Tigers handled the unique challenge of the triple option with ease, as Georgia Tech was never within striking distance. Clemson needs to be laser focused, as Syracuse comes to town next week. The Orange are 4-0 and took down the Tigers in their last meeting.
2. Miami Hurricanes 3-1 (LW: 3), Week 4 Result: 31-17 W vs FIU, Next: vs North Carolina 9/27 8:00pm ET
The Canes handled FIU, although not by as much as many fans would like. That shouldn’t be taken for granted, as you’ll see throughout these rankings. Miami still has questions to answer (such as the QB situation), but should hopefully be able to handle North Carolina on Thursday night.
3. NC State Wolfpack 3-0 (LW: 5), Week 4 Result: 37-20 W @ Marshall, Next: vs UVA 9/29 12:20pm ET
The Wolfpack have quietly worked their way up in the Atlantic Division (as well as in these rankings) behind their potent passing attack. QB Ryan Finley (377 passing yards against Marshall) will be hoping to help keep NC State near the top of the conference much longer than their ACC foes non-named-Clemson, and up next is a matchup with Virginia, which looked much more dangerous than they were a week ago.
4. Syracuse Orange 4-0 (LW: 6), Week 4 Result: 51-21 W vs UConn, Next: @ Clemson 9/29 12:00pm ET
As bad as the fan bases of Florida State and Virginia Tech feel right now, Syracuse fans should savoring every moment of their hot start. QB Eric Dungey returned to action this past weekend with a solid performance through the air (21/27, 286 yards and 2 touchdowns), and the Orange will be hoping for another inspired performance as they travel down south to the reigning conference champs Clemson.
5. Duke Blue Devils 4-0 (LW: 8), Week 4 Result: 55-13 W vs NC Central, Next: vs Virginia Tech 9/29 7:00pm ET
The Blue Devils continue to handle their early-season opponents with ease, and can send a huge statement by adding to the Hokies’ misery Saturday evening.
6. Boston College Eagles 3-1 (LW: 4), Week 4 Result: 13-30 L @ Purdue, Next: vs Temple 9/29 12:00pm ET
BC fell back to earth after getting a sound beating by an 0-3 Purdue squad. The Boilermakers shut down every facet of the Boston College offense, leaving the Eagles looking to regroup at home against Temple this week.
7. Virginia Tech Hokies 2-1 (LW: 2), Week 4 Result: 35-49 L @ Old Dominion, Next: @ Duke 9/29 7:00pm ET
Their worst case scenario became their reality on Saturday, as the Hokies not only lost to Old Dominion (who? exactly.), but they lost their starting QB indefinitely to a serious lower leg injury, and they dismissed their best defensive player from the program. Their matchup with Duke is vital to keeping their season alive.
8. Virginia Cavaliers 3-1 (LW: 12), Week 4 Result: 27-3 W vs Louisville, Next: @ NC State 9/29 12:20pm ET
The Cavaliers made a huge jump in our rankings by obliterating conference foe Louisville. Can they inflict the same result on NC State?
9. Wake Forest Demon Deacons 2-2 (LW: 10), Week 4 Result: 27-56 L vs Notre Dame, Next: vs Rice 9/29 3:30pm ET
Wake Forest struggled to keep pace with Notre Dame, as the Fighting Irish ran all over the Demon Deacons. They’ll have a week to regroup against 1-3 Rice, a game in which ESPN’s Matchup Predictor gives Wake Forest a 96.9% chance to win.
10. Florida State Seminoles 2-2 (LW: 13), Week 4 Result: 37-19 W vs Northern Illinois, Next: @ Louisville 9/29 3:30pm ET
The Noles stopped the bleeding a bit with a solid win over an ordinary Northern Illinois team. This week appears to be another manageable matchup, as FSU travels north to take on a reeling Louisville team.
11. North Carolina Tar Heels 1-2 (LW: 14), Week 4 Result: 38-35 W vs Pittsburgh, Next: @ Miami, 9/27 8:00pm ET
One of the shockers of the weekend was UNC taking down Pitt to nab their first W of the season. Do they have enough momentum to challenge the Canes on the road Thursday night?
12. Pittsburgh Panthers 2-1 (LW: 7), Week 4 Result: 35-38 L vs North Carolina, Next: @ UCF 9/29 3:30pm ET
Another case of a bad result getting worse, as Pitt let all the air out of their tires with a tough loss to the Tar Heels. They’re now staring 2-2 in the face after their 2-0 start, as they head to UCF this weekend to take on the Golden Knights’ high-powered offense.
13. Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets 1-3 (LW: 11), Week 4 Result: 21-49 L vs Clemson, Next: vs Bowling Green 9/29 12:00pm ET
GT never really stood a chance against the cream of the ACC crop Clemson. Their ACC hopes look to be already dashed after starting conference play 0-2.
14. Louisville Cardinals 2-2 (LW: 9), Week 4 Result: 3-27 L @ Virginia, Next: @ FSU 9/29 12:20pm ET
The Louisville offense was abysmal against Virginia, whose own head coach stated “has only 27 Division 1 caliber players.” The Lamar Jackson effect is real.
Do you agree with the movement in the rankings? Let us know in the comments below.