Week 1 muddied the tiers of the conference as Miami, Florida State, Louisville and North Carolina all dropped their opening week games. Here are our week 2 ACC Power Rankings:
ACC Power Rankings - Week 2
1. Clemson Tigers (LW: 1), Week 1 Result: 48-7 W vs Furman, Next: @ Texas A&M 9/8 7:00pm ET
Clemson had an easy cupcake game which failed to provide any clarity with their QB controversy, as Kelly Bryant was 10/16 for 127 yards and 1 TD, and Trevor Lawrence was 9/15 for 137 yards and 3 TDs. The Tigers will have to give slightly more effort as they take on Texas A&M next week.
2. Virginia Tech Hokies (LW: 3), Week 1 Result: 24-3 W @ Florida State, Next: vs William & Mary 9/8 2:00pm ET
The Hokies make a jump up to #2 after dismantling the Seminoles on Monday night. Many believed the Hokies’ defense would struggle this season after losing 5 starters from last season, but that was not the case, as Virginia Tech had more forced turnovers (5) than points allowed (3).
3. Miami Hurricanes (LW: 2), Week 1 Result: 17-33 L vs LSU, Next: vs Savannah State 9/8 6:00pm ET
The Canes fall only one spot after showing some life in the third quarter. If CMR and the rest of the coaching staff can’t find a way to effectively use all of the talent on this team, the Canes will find themselves much lower, which is a problem for a program that should be no lower that #2 in the conference at any point this season.
4. Boston College Eagles (LW: 6), Week 1 Result: 55-21 W vs UMass, Next: vs Holy Cross 9/8 1:00pm ET
BC handled a sneaky UMass team handily, despite an ordinary performance from preseason ACC Offensive Player of the Year Austin Dillon (20 Carries, 98 yards). The passing attack looked great with Anthony Brown throwing for 4 TDs, although the Eagles’ defense will have to be better if they want to keep climbing the ACC ranks.
5. Florida State Seminoles (LW: 3), Week 1 Result: 3-24 L vs Virginia Tech, Next: vs Samford 9/8 7:20pm ET
The Willie Taggart era started with a dud, as the Seminoles offense never got off the ground in their opening week ACC matchup. RB Cam Akers still looked effective, but by the time he started getting the ball, the game was already out of reach. Like the Canes, FSU will try to start figuring things out with a week 2 cupcake matchup.
6. North Carolina State Wolfpack (LW: 5), Week 1 Result: 24-13 W vs James Madison, Next: vs Georgia State 9/8 12:30pm ET
NC State started their season with the defending FCS runner up James Madison, and ended up in a week 1 dogfight. The Wolfpack will need more from their run game going forward after only mustering 83 yards on 29 carries.
7. Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets (LW: 8), Week 1 Result: 41-0 W vs Alcorn State, Next: @ South Florida 9/8 12:00pm ET
The Yellow Jackets got through week 1 the way you would want, with a 41 point shutout over their cupcake opponent. Things get real quickly for Georgia Tech, as they travel to Tampa in week 2 to try to take down a solid USF squad.
8. Louisville Cardinals (LW: 7), Week 1 Result: 14-51 L vs Alabama, Next: vs Indiana State 9/8 7:00pm ET
Louisville talked the talk, but they did not walk the walk as Alabama treated them like an FCS opponent. To be fair, none of us expected the Cardinals to put up much of a fight. We won’t know much about this team until ACC play begins.
9. Pittsburgh Panthers (LW: 9), Week 1 Result: 33-7 W vs Albany, Next: vs Penn State 9/8 8:00pm ET
Pitt gets a huge opportunity to raise their profile with a primetime week 2 matchup against a vulnerable Penn State team at home.
10. Duke Blue Devils (LW: 11), Week 1 Result: 34-14 W vs Army, Next: @ Northwestern 9/8 12:00pm ET
The Blue Devils were a trendy pick to be upset in week 1, but they handled business against a solid Army program. Duke could continue to climb the rankings this week with a win over Big Ten foe Northwestern.
11. Wake Forest Demon Deacons (LW: 10), Week 1 Result: 23-17 W @ Tulane, Next: vs Towson 9/8 12:00pm ET
The Demon Deacons took care of business on Thursday evening on the road. They’ll be hoping to carry enough momentum through their non-conference schedule to make some noise against BC in their ACC opener on 9/13.
12. Syracuse Orange (LW: 13), Week 1 Result: 55-42 W @ Western Michigan, Next: vs Wagner 9/8 3:30pm ET
The Orange offense was firing on all cylinders, behind QB Eric Dungey’s 184 yards and 1 TD through the air and 200 yards and 1 TD on the ground. Week 2 should be easier for Syracuse as they host Wagner. Clemson beware.
13. Virginia Cavaliers (LW: 14), Week 1 Result: 42-13 W vs Richmond, Next: @ Indiana 9/8 7:30pm ET
UVA made it through week without a loss, but similar weeks should still be few and far between, starting this week as the Cavaliers go on the road against a tough Indiana squad.
14. North Carolina Tar Heels (LW: 12), Week 1 Result: 17-24 L @ Cal, Next: @ East Carolina, 9/8 3:30pm ET
UNC could be looking at a 0-2 start if they’re not careful against a very capable East Carolina team. QB Nick Elliot really struggled against Cal, completing 15 out of 35 passes for 134 yards, 1 TD and 4 INTs.
Do you agree with the movement in the rankings? Let us know in the comments below.