clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

The Ambassadors for The New Miami

Every Year, it is a must to reload with talent... and leaders

Pittsburgh v Miami
DeeJay Dallas celebrating after a touchdown against Pitt.
Photo by Michael Reaves/Getty Images

Throughout the year, the coaching staff for the Miami Hurricanes are focused and dedicated to improving and setting the standard for what it takes to play for the Hurricanes. This year with The New Miami, the coaches have challenged their players on and off the field through the drills, weight room, nutrition, and in the classroom.

NCAA Football: Miami Spring Game
Arguably the two most important coaches on the staff, Coach Dan Enos and Head Coach Manny Diaz
Reinhold Matay-USA TODAY Sports

The staff has done an impeccable job by instilling the importance of competition and pushing each other to greatness. Every single workout includes a weekly leader by position to show who is putting in the work to help turn this program around. All the great teams don't just have great starters, they must have depth at every position that has competition for the starting job. In a physical game like football, injuries are unfortunately a common plague that all teams encounter. With that, the “Next Man Up” slogan portrays the importance of competition.

SEC Championship - Alabama v Georgia
Tua Tagovailoa and Jalen Hurts
Photo by Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images

When Coach Enos was at Alabama, he was given the opportunity to coach two very talented quarterbacks. Having both Jalen Hurts and Tua Tagovailoa in the same room definitely taught Enos the impact of competition. The two quarterbacks embraced their talents and used it to connect and build a friendship. They continued to compete, and when their time came, they both delivered during their moments.

Finally in Miami, there is a real quarterback battle that features three guys who could possibly start. All have limited experience, some more than others, but that hasn’t stopped Coach Enos and the staff from embracing competition within the group. Especially at the Quarterback position, leadership and an alpha mentality are huge. The quarterback on the roster with the biggest ego and most familiar to the “Stardom” is easily Tate Martell. He was featured in the Netflix series, QB1, which was an insight of him playing his final year at Bishop Gorman High School (Nevada). He is one that will talk smack and then back it up on the field, which is something the Hurricanes have lacked at the position. I personally believe Tate would be a fantastic leader for the Canes, his demeanor will set the tone for a physical team who will have fun dominating its opponent. With his ability to either throw or run, teams will probably flood the box which will force 1 on 1 matchups on the outside. Miami has talent at the receiver spot, which will have Enos excited with the upside in this offense.

NCAA Football: Miami Spring Game Reinhold Matay-USA TODAY Sports

At Ohio State he only had limited playing time because he was behind Dwayne Haskins, which is something very understandable. When he was given his time at the end of the game, he had some highlight type plays that should excite Miami for this upcoming year.

Every team needs an Ambassador that will speak up and lead by example at all times to help the team move forward and succeed. This starts in the recruiting trail when seeking for future Canes. Currently UM has leaders in Junior DeeJay Dallas, Junior Trajan Bandy, Senior Shaquille Quarterman, Senior Micheal Pinckney, and this years potential QB1. These players have had a voice since their recruitment and have carried the role into college. These are the big time players, that make the big time plays, in big time games.

Deejay Dallas was the main ambassador of his recruiting class and would try to entice other prospects to come down south. In his career at Miami, he has proven that he can be moved around in the offense to make plays.. whether that being at wideout, return specialist, wildcat formation, or running back. He embraces the green & orange with pride and won't back down from anyone. He will lay out a block for his quarterback and loves to celebrate with teammates. A true cane that will keep leading this team.

Incase you have any doubt for his breakout junior year.. here are some of his top plays last year. He is primed for his best season yet!

The linebacker duo in Shaquille Quarterman & Michael Pinckney are as good as it gets. They both posses leadership traits and talent to take them to the next level. This year in the Feely program, they have reshaped their bodies which will be a huge difference for their play on the field as they will be faster and have more stamina. I fully expect them to lead the team in tackles and for them to be a constant force on the team. They must have a strong and injury free season for them to be drafted within the top 4 rounds.

Trajan Bandy is another one who is arguably the player with the most heart. For his size, you wouldn't think he would be able to make as many plays as he does, but height is just a number to Trajan. This year he is our only returning starter in the secondary who is primed to cover the best wideout. He surprises people with his hitting ability and his ball hawking traits. He is one of the biggest leaders for this program and was always meant to wear that U. Im really excited for Bandy to show the nation what he is able to do, and wouldn't be surprised if he has his best year yet with interceptions.

2020 Recruiting Class Ambassador

This years class features a group of kids that want to take on the “Ambassador” role and help show the nation that The U is taking a step in the right direction. These players are Tyler Van Dyke (4 star), Don Chaney (5 star), Antonio Smith (3 star), Xavier Restrepo (3 star) and some others. These are players that speak up for the 2020 class and help interact with other recruits throughout the nation. The player that has the potential to attract the most attention could be our quarterback of the future, Tyler Van Dyke. He is currently apart of the ELITE11, which features the top quarterback talent across the nation as they go through drills and camps to take their game to the next level.

At Paradise Camp, Van Dyke had people in attendance and over social media amazed with his arm talent as he placed the ball in incredible spots where only his receiver can get it. In the camp he was building chemistry with fellow Miami commits Don Chaney and Xavier Restrepo, as well as the best tight end in the nation, Darnell Washington.

The future for Miami’s offense

Following this year and depending on the strides Miami takes on offense, Dan Enos could be a name floating around for vacant Head Coaching positions. He proved at Alabama and before that he can be a QB’s best friend with his remarkable offensive strategies. If in fact we are able to keep him for multiple years, Enos will have any of the quarterbacks on the roster now for 3 years and then have Van Dyke. Heading into 2021, he could potentially land 5 star quarterback Jake Garcia who has a composite score of .9914, which would have him as the 13th highest commit ever at Miami. The crystal ball on 247 has his commitment an 80% chance to Miami, and the remaining 20% to Nebraska.

Even though it is not common, one could wish that Dan Enos stays on the Hurricanes staff for multiple seasons similar to Clemson DC Brett Venables, who has been with Dabo for around 7 years. That is something rare, but has translated to multiple successful years for the Tigers.

The hope for every football team is that your QB is your biggest voice and leader that will make everyone around him better. Miami has done well with getting alpha type players at different positions, but would really excel if their quarterback can be one of those players and step up and be the face of this program.

It is an exciting off-season for the Canes with the QB position due to the current and possible future talent. Manny is getting a plethora of playmakers throughout the team that will work everyday for that Championship banner to be hung in the IPF.

GO CANES!