When adidas signed the University of Miami to an athletic apparel sponsorship deal, the general consensus was that the apparel brand would be positioning The U at the forefront of their jersey and shoe technology, as well as new and exciting designs.
The latest installment of those moves came yesterday when adidas and the University of Miami announced new alternate jerseys for the 2019 season.
Creating a wave of change…— Canes Football (@CanesFootball) August 20, 2019
Introducing year two of Miami x @adidasFballUS x @parleyforoceans partnership with these new threads.#teamadidas | #adidasParley | #ItsAllAboutTheU pic.twitter.com/pQFklc4RSE
The adidas partnership with Parley is great for its conservation efforts, along with premium design. Here’s the full press release from Miami and adidas about the parley jersey collaboration for 2019:
adidas x University of Miami: Parley for the Oceans
Determined to keep their surrounding oceans clean, and as a nod to the University of Miami’s renowned Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science, adidas and the Hurricanes’ alternate uniforms were created through adidas’ continued collaboration with Parley for the Oceans. The environmentally-conscious uniforms have been crafted from repurposed and upcycled materials.
● ECONYL® YARN: The adidas Primeknit A1 football uniform is composed of over 70% regenerated ECONYL® yarn; a raw material transformed from fishing nets and other nylon waste intercepted in marine environments.
● The jersey’s base is complimented by twill numbering.
● The design within the numbering features a wave print, fusing Miami’s signature dark green with the EQT green colorway that has become synonymous with adidas x Parley.
● The base of the uniform is white, eliminating the use of toxic color dyes and materials.
● To resemble Miami’s Ibis mascot, the uniform’s white and orange colorways resemble the seagull’s white feathering and orange beak.
● New, custom-made typography is inspired by the same lettering used for the Orange Bowl
● Parley’s signature EQT design is throughout the numbers, using an orange colorway with a replica plastic finish to resemble net and plastic bottles.
● The jersey features a body-mapping design, using a ribbed, knit pattern on the chest and shoulder pads to produce a refined fit, while knit engineered mesh channels feature Climacool technology to provide enhanced breathability and cooling zones
● The new uniforms will make their on-field debut against the University of Virginia on Sat., Oct. 11, at Miami’s Hard Rock Stadium.
About Parley for the Oceans
Parley for the Oceans is the global network where creators, thinkers and leaders from the creative industries, brands, governments and environmental groups come together to raise awareness for the beauty and fragility of the oceans and collaborate on projects that can end their destruction. The organization has formed alliances with major corporations including adidas, Anheuser Busch InBev (Corona), American Express; the United Nations; the Maldives and collaborators spanning the worlds of science, art, fashion, design, entertainment, sports, and space and ocean exploration. To know more: www.parley.tv”
As stated in the release, Miami will wear the new Parley primeknit A1 alternate jerseys for the October 11th game against the Virginia Cavaliers. And, while there was no announcement on this point, there were Parley cleats for last year’s game featuring these uniforms, so that may be the case for this season as well.
Retail versions of these uniforms are available at your favorite Canes store, or directly from adidas. I will say, however, that the retail versions look a bit (incredibly) like soccer kits, but that’s just how I see them.
Once again, adidas has lived up to their word by putting the University of Miami at the forefront of their jersey and cleat technology and cutting edge design. But that’s what you do when you have brands as strong as adidas and The U teaming up together. Power moves only.
Love the new parley alternates? Hate them? What about the cleats? Hop in the comments and talk about the jerseys, you guys!