It’s Friday, which means it’s time for another round of Canes trivia, folks. Had some solid efforts last week, with Hefty9 leading the way with 8 correct responses (monthly reminder that this is not an open book quiz, y’all; answer on the spot. Hopefully everyone is, but just giving the routine disclaimer.).
The correct answers from last week’s trivia are:
1) This Miami defender picked off Clemson QB Charlie Whitehurst in overtime, preserving Miami’s 36-30 win in Death Valley in 2005.
a) Kenny Phillips
2) Miami scored two late touchdowns to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat in a nationally televised game on ESPN against Florida in 1984. At what neutral site was the game played?
3) Under Howard Schnellenberger, Miami snapped a string of ten straight losses to Notre Dame. In what year did they finally break the streak?
4) In which year did Miami defeat the AP #1 and #2 teams and NOT win the national championship?
5) Before being tapped as Dennis Erickson’s replacement, Butch Davis was the defensive coordinator for which NFL team?
6) Which of the following former Canes has NOT been inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame?
c) Russell Maryland
7) Who won Big East Rookie of the Year honors in 1997 and set a school record for catches (48) by a freshman?
a) Reggie Wayne
8) Who is Miami’s all-time leading rusher?
c) Duke Johnson
9) To instill the discipline he learned from coaching under Bear Bryant, this Schnellenberger morning ritual was considered a deterrent to breaking team rules.
b) the Breakfast Club
10) A senior safety on the 1987 national championship team, I also won the Jim Thorpe Award in 1987 and was a Pro Bowler with the Detroit Lions in 1991. I was inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame in 2008 and the UM Ring of Honor in 2009. Who am I? Bennie Blades
And now, on with this week’s questions....
1) Against whom did Miami open its 2001 championship season?
b) Louisiana Tech
d) Penn State
2) This Hurricane tied the UM record with 12 catches in a single game in a 40-9 win over USF in 2012.
a) Phillip Dorsett
b) Clive Walford
c) Herb Waters
d) Stacy Coley
3) Why did Howard Schnellenberger opt to kick a field goal as time expired in a 31-7 Miami win at Florida in 1980?
a) He and Florida head coach Charlie Pell had a pregame spat.
b) To get back at Florida players for a halftime brawl in the tunnel.
c) Florida students pelted the Miami sideline with frozen oranges, hitting a cheerleader and a UM assistant coach.
d) To give UM its largest margin of victory at Florida Field.
4) Since winning the program’s first national title in 1983, how many undefeated season has Miami posted?
5) In 2001, who won the prestigious academic Heisman award for UM?
a) Ken Dorsey
b) Jonathan Vilma
c) Ed Reed
d) Joaquin Gonzalez
6) This defensive lineman earned All-American honors as a senior in 1977, when he set a school record with 15 sacks.
a) George Halas
b) Don Latimer
c) Don Smith
d) Tony Galente
7) In 1997, the Canes set a school record for most 300+ yard rushing games to start a season. Home many times in a row did they do it?
8) This former UM running back set a school record with a 90-yard touchdown run, which was later matched by Duke Johnson in 2014.
a) Willis McGahee
b) Edgerrin James
c) Alonzo Highsmith
d) Jack Losch
9) Who has the longest interception return for a touchdown in school history?
a) Ed Reed
b) Selwyn Brown
c) Bennie Blades
d) Maurice Sikes
10) Between 1975 and 1978, I rushed 691 times for 3331 yards for the Canes. I was drafted by the then-St. Louis Cardinals in the first round of the 1979 NFL Draft. After 8 seasons with the Cardinals, I spent 7 seasons with the New York Giants, eventually earning Super Bowl MVP honors. Who am I?