Congrats to PikesvilleAL, who answered 8 questions correctly last week. The question that seemed to stump the most of you was actually a true-false question. According to UM’s 2020 media guide, the 1987 Miami Hurricanes WERE the first team to go to the White House as honored guests of Ronald Reagan (NOT the 1983 team as some of you mused). In fact, the guide states that it was a first for any collegiate athletic team in the state of Florida. Even I learn something new while making this contest for you all.
Last week’s correct responses are the following:
1) Against Duke in 2005, Devin Hester had a spectacular punt return for a touchdown in which he broke through half a dozen tackle attempts and reversed field before finding the end zone. Although it was nullified by penalty, it remains one of the most spectacular plays in the career of one of the most exciting Canes ever. How long was the return?
d) 81 yards
2) Miami had co-MVPs in the 1991 Cotton Bowl. Who were they?
a) Craig Erickson; Russell Maryland
3) As a center, I was first-team All Big East as a sophomore in 1994. I was named AP first-team All-American in 1996. A Denver native, I won Super Bowl rings with the Broncos in 1998 and 1999. I was enshrined in the UM Sports Hall of Fame in 2008. Who am I? K. C. Jones
4) True or false: the 1987 national champion Hurricanes were the first collegiate athletic team from the state of Florida to visit the White House as champions. True
5) In the 1993 season finale, Miami tied Alabama with 57-straight home wins in a 41-17 win over Memphis. They set the new mark at 58 games the start of the 1994 season before losing their next home game to Washington to snap the streak. Who did they beat to set the record?
c) Georgia Southern
6) True or false: Andre Johnson led the 2001 Miami Hurricanes in receptions. False (Jeremy Shockey)
7) Who took a two-year break from coaching the Canes to serve in World War II?
a) Jack Harding
8) This defensive tackle holds the UM record for tackles in a season by a defensive tackle.
d) Rubin Carter
9) Which team with a winning all-time record against the Canes has beaten Miami the most times in school history?
b) Notre Dame
10) This Hurricane RB set a UM bowl record with a 73-yard touchdown run to give Miami a 21-7 halftime lead over Georgia Tech in the 2000 Gator Bowl. Name him. Clinton Portis
And now, on with this week’s questions (no Googling, kids)....
1) This Key West native, nicknamed “The Matador”, finished fifth in the Heisman voting as a senior and tied a national completion record (368) despite the Canes’ 3-7 record. Name him.
2) In the 1987 NFL Draft, three Hurricanes were taken in the top nine picks: Vinny Testaverde, Alonzo Highsmith, and who else?
a) Brett Perriman
b) Eddie Brown
c) Jerome Brown
d) Dan Sileo
3) Who did Miami beat to START the 58-game home winning streak?
4) TRUE OR FALSE: Brandon McManus’ two-point pass was knocked down by Miami defender Tolbert Bain to preserve a 26-25 win.
5) Which FSU kicker pushed the field goal wide right in the Canes’ 27-24 win over FSU in 2000?
a) Xavier Beitia
b) Matt Munyon
c) Gerry Thomas
d) Dan Mowrey
6) With a 49-27 win, Miami snapped FSU’s length game home unbeaten streak in 2001. How many games had FSU rolled up at home without losing?
7) TRUE OR FALSE: Miami’s 38-33 win over Florida was the largest comeback win in school history.
8) Miami played in the most watched game in ESPN history. Which game was it?
a) 2006 vs. FSU
b) 1988 vs. Notre Dame
c) 2009 vs. FSU
d) 1986 vs Oklahoma
9) This former walk-on kicker from Coral Gables led the Hurricanes in scoring during his four-year career in which he established an NCAA record for PATs made (157). He is still the school’s all-time leader in field goals made and PATs made (178). He was inducted into the UM Sports Hall of Fame. Who is he?
a) Andy Crosland
b) Todd Sievers
c) Carlos Huerta
d) Dane Prewitt
10) Three Miami Hurricanes - Yatil Green by Miami, Kenard Lang by Washington, and Kenny Holmes by Tennessee - were selected in the first round of this year’s NFL Draft.