Big day today, Canes. Let’s look at the lay of the land as we get ready for a long leadup to tonight’s game.
Miami-Louisville gets GameDay, Primetime TV spotlight
The day starts at 9AM when ESPN’s GameDay hits the airwaves. This will be the 22nd time a Miami game is featured on the iconic preview show, and will lend even more visibility to the program and game.
After GameDay, you can do some chores, run some errands, and hang out because Miami-Louisville is in primetime on ABC National Television. And this placement makes sense, as this is the first game this season between ranked teams, and only such game on the schedule this week.
Long day ahead, ladies and gentlemen. Pace yourselves.
We all know things are different because of the COVID-19 pandemic. And, things are going to be a bit different on the field this week for Miami because of the virus, as well.
According to Barry Jackson of The Miami Herald, Miami will be without 2 players, including a rotation player, due to COVID-19. I’m embedding Jackson’s tweets below so you can see the reported information for yourselves.
A person involved in UM program said at least 1 UM player is not traveling to Louisville because of a COVID-19 issue. I have not confirmed if a 2nd player is also not traveling. Game is still on at this point. UM's policy is not to comment on how many -if any -players have virus.— Barry Jackson (@flasportsbuzz) September 18, 2020
This is a rotation player who has NOT publicly announced that he's missing the game because of COVID. UM announces an hour before kickoff who's not playing but doesn't say why. https://t.co/vfcyZhpvFC— Barry Jackson (@flasportsbuzz) September 18, 2020
That 2nd part is key, because people have inferred based upon social media posts that the “rotation player” is WR Jeremiah Payton. Jackson is saying that the player in question has not made any social media statement on the matter, which would mean it’s not Payton.
And in case you’re wondering when we’ll find out who is and is not playing tonight, Miami released the weekly “availability report” maybe an hour before the opener against UAB, so that’s a safe bet for the timeline, absent the player(s) posting about it before that time.
Podcasts, Podcasts, PODCASTS
I’m just gonna drop some links for you
- Our SBN-sister site CardChronicle has a podcast. And they talked about Louisville-Miami.
- Our own Roman Maricante is one of the hosts of the Orange Bowl Boys, and this is their preview ep.
- Friends of the site Mike McDaniel and Joey Weaver have their Week 3 preview ep of the Basketball Conference Podcast, which is actually about ACC football.
- Deputy Editor/Right Hand man Marshall Thomas co-hosts the 4’s Up podcast, and they had me on as a guest last episode for this week’s preview.
- There’s probably more. But you get the idea. Enjoy for your pre-game listening.
Blips on the radar
- Carl Bleich gave you the Recruit Schedule for the week (which includes a SATURDAY game)
- I did a Q&A with one of the guys from CardChronicle
- I answered some of CardChronicle’s questions, too
- Test your knowledge with this week’s edition of Friday Canes Trivia
- We know you root for Miami. But who ELSE should you root for in the ACC world this week? Got you covered there, too
Enjoy the buildup to tonight’s game and we’ll chat later.