Happy Friday, which means time for more Canes trivia. I want to make it clear, as I didn’t before when I got this little exercise in nostalgia going: I never really laid out the ground rules for answering questions. I assumed most people would review the questions and answer them to the best of their memory. I hope everyone is doing that. Don’t look up answers. Getting 4 questions right is not the end of the world. Quite the opposite, actually. I honestly have no idea of anyone is. I’m just suggesting that no one does, as I did not make that clear before.
Anyhow, here are last week’s correct answers...
1) Who was MVP of the 1992 Orange Bowl?
b) Larry Jones
2) When did the Ibis mascot first make an appearance at a Miami football game?
3) A follow up question: how did “Sebastian” the Ibis get his name?
d) The original person who portrayed the Ibis lived in San Sebastian Hall, a former university dormitory
4) This hard-hitting linebacker terrorized the middle of the field, taking home the school’s only Dick Butkus Award trophy. Who is he? Dan Morgan
5) During this national championship season, Miami defeated five teams ranked in the AP top 10. Which year was it?
6) This former Miami quarterback was a two-time All-American and is a member of the Hurricanes ring of honor. He is also remembered for his game-winning touchdown pass with his non-throwing hand to beat the Gators in Gainesville.
d) George Mira, Sr.
7) From 1997 - 2000, this future NFL star set a school record with 4,384 career all-purpose yards.
a) Santana Moss
8) This running back came on strong following a knee injury to Frank Gore and earned MVP honors in the 2004 Orange Bowl, rushing for 131 yards in Miami’s 16-14 win over FSU.
b) Jarrett Payton
9) In December 1966, this individual became the first African-American athlete to receive a scholarship from Miami.
c) Ray Bellamy
10) Which FSU kicker missed the tying field goal attempt in Wide Right II?
a) Dan Mowrey
And now on with this week’s questions....
1) After smashing Nebraska 37-14 in the 2002 BCS title game, UM tied the 1968 USC Trojans for the most players taken in the first round of the NFL Draft (at that time). How many Canes were drafted in the first round that year?
2) This defensive lineman was known as the “Mad Stork”
a) Ted Hendricks
b) Dan Sileo
c) Jim Burt
d) Tony Fitzpatrick
3) This player returned a fumble by FSU quarterback Xavier Lee for the game-clinching TD at Doak Campbell Stadium in 2007.
a) Tavares Gooden
b) Kenny Phillips
c) Allen Bailey
d) Colin McCarthy
4) This defensive back set school records for both career tackles by a cornerback (120) and tackles in a season by a cornerback (73). Who is he?
a) Tolbert Bain
b) Tom Beier
c) Phillip Buchanon
d) Antrel Rolle
5) This former Canes head coach was a first team All-American QB for UM in 1959, as well as an academic All-American.
a) Fran Curci
b) Lou Saban
c) Andy Gustafson
d) Howard Schnellenberger
6) Which quarterback succeeded Jim Kelly as starter?
a) Vinny Testaverde
b) Bernie Kosar
c) Mark Richt
d) Steve Walsh
7) Miami has played Alabama 17 times in their history. When is their last victory over the Crimson Tide?
a) 1993 Sugar Bowl
b) 1955 at Orange Bowl
c) 1990 Sugar Bowl
d) 1979 at Tuscaloosa
8) Which was the last season in which Miami beat the then-AP #1 and #2 teams in the same year?
9) This former Pro Cane led the NFL in catches (115) and receiving yards (1,575) in 2008.
a) Santana Moss
b) Greg Olsen
c) Andre Johnson
d) Reggie Wayne
10) In Miami’s last game against Michigan, Carlos Huerta nailed a late field goal to win 31-30 in Ann Arbor. What year was it?