On Monday afternoon, the Miami Hurricanes depth chart leaked on social media. This was shortly before Head Coach Manny Diaz was scheduled to speak to the media at 1pm. In any event, here’s the depth chart that was seen online:
here are some quick thoughts:
- D’Eriq King is QB1. We knew that from the moment he transferred here.
- Cam Harris starts at RB with the freshman duo of Jaylan Knighton and Donald Chaney Jr. rotating in behind him. Let’s ride.
- A familiar trio of WRs start: Mike Harley, Mark Pope, and Dee Wiggins. I’m fairly surprised by this, to be honest. I thought we’d see a freshman starting. Instead the veterans get the nod and the freshmen, and Marshall Few, back them up. We’ll see if that lasts.
- Tight End is loaded. Putting Mallory as an “or” starter is a nice gesture.
- We have a starting OLine. John Campbell, Ousman Traore, Corey Gaynor, DJ Scaife, and Jarrid Williams. The success of the offense lies on those 5. No pressure.
- DL is as expected.
- Welcome to the show, Bradley Jennings Jr. He’s taken a big step forward and will now start alongside Zach McCloud at LB.
- Gilbert Frierson or Keontra Smith at Striker. Both players have factions of support in the fan base. It will be interesting to see how the snaps are divided here.
- Safety is loaded. Bubba Bolder, Gurvan Hall, and Amari Carter are all future NFL players, and listed as “or” starters at both Safety spots. Which makes sense.
- CB is as we thought it would be: Al Blades Jr and DJ Ivey. Hopefully this will be a settled group this season, with others rotating in for rest/need against 3 and 4 and 5-wide sets.
- Kicking is set. Jose Borregales and Louis Hedley.
- Kick RETURNING is still an area where Miami needs to have increased impact. Mark Pope gets the nod at KR and PR this year. And starting WR. So, the stage is set for a breakout year for him, if things go well.
That’s what I have off the top of my head. What about the depth chart caught your attention? Let me know in the comments section.