We are just over a month from the college football season, and are just a few days away from fall camp opening. The offseason typically has a bunch of conversations that get repetitive and sometimes mundane. The same arguments have been made, the same insults have been said, and all the past struggles have been rehashed. While these conversations can be fun, after 9 months of the same ole same, it’s time to move on to the 2021 season.
Today’s Top 5 Tuesday is, what about the offseason we are glad to see in the rear view mirror?
5. Recruiting Rankings - Nothing is a more useless conversation than where Miami ranks in April, June or August in recruiting. I get it, recruiting is the lifeblood of a program, but watching our fans(and all college football fans) fawning over 16 and 17 year old kids becomes somewhat disturbing. Yes it can be exciting when the Canes ink a 4 or 5 star player, and recruiting is a big money business, but get back to me in December when pen is put to paper and these commitments become official.
FSU fan base coming at Miami over recruiting rankings in June.— Cane Tapes, i’m him. (@CaneTapes) June 29, 2021
Miami would only take 2 players out of their 14 man class...
Just leave it be, enjoy what Norvell is doing without bringing up Miami
4. Twitter Arguments - Why? Why? Why? Why do we consistently argue with FSU, Florida and UCF fans about where Miami is now? I’ll be like Eminem in 8 Mile, as I already know what you’re gonna say about us, “we rent our stadium”, “ we haven’t won the ACC” , “we haven’t won a National title since 2001”. Why do you bother? It’s the same regurgitated nonsense from jealous fan bases who just rope Miami fans in. Don’t waste your time.
3. Is Miami Back - Simple answer is no. Until Miami is contending for National Titles the Canes are not back. Are they trending in the right direction? It seems that way, but there is a long way to go to be back. Lazy national pundits love to ask this question because they know there will be a response from other sides. Miami fans know the truth and are tired of seeing the same question every offseason.
Miami comes in at #15 in CBS Sports' Preseason rankings. Do you think the Canes are ranked too high, too low, or just right? Let me know in the comments below. pic.twitter.com/Z1IAi5LCte— Canes Access (@CanesAccess) August 3, 2021
2. Edits - This is 100% not a knock on those talented individuals who do the edits, but can we make them feel a little more special? Every kid who shows up on campus doesn’t deserve your hard work to make them look great in a Canes uniform. Save the edits until a kid commits to the program. Then drop some of those gems for the world to see. We placate to a soft generation of look at me kids, who just clout chase, so make them earn a great edit.
3 DAYS TILL FALL CAMP STARTS CANES FANS pic.twitter.com/YteeSku80N— Marsh (@hurricanesmarsh) August 3, 2021
- Negativity - Miami ended 2020 on a negative note with a blowout loss to UNC and a tough Bowl loss to Oklahoma St. Couple those losses with D’Eriq King’s knee injury, and 2020 ended a lot worse than the 8-1 start indicated. This doesn’t mean every other post or article has to be the sky is falling, and Miami is doomed. How many more times do people need to concede a blowout loss to Bama as if Miami has less than a zero chance to win the game? This has been the tone and tenor of the offseason and it should change. Miami is deep, experienced and plenty talented. Manny Diaz made a bunch of staff changes that should pay immediate dividends. Time for us to recognize and appreciate the steps they are taking to get better.
Maybe I’m nitpicking, or maybe I’m just ready for actual football to be played. Can’t wait for 2021 to get underway, and the Canes to take the field. Even more so I can’t wait to meet many of you in Atlanta, and hangout in Miami for a few games as well. It’s almost time!