Good morning Canes!
We’re a day closer to the season opener against the Alabama Crimson Tide. And with that, we reconvene for another dose of news and notes. Let’s get it!
Uniforms vs Alabama unveiled
I know many of you, like me, like to speculate about which uniform combination the Canes will wear on a given week. Well, speculate no more, Canes. Here they go:
A classic combination. White helmet. Orange tops. White pants. White and orange cleats.
I love it. What say you?
Miami Hurricanes Depth Chart released
The jersey unveiling was not the only salient piece of information given by Miami Athletics yesterday. In the afternoon, the initial depth chart for the 2021 season was released. And here it is:
- Cam’Ron Harris starting at RB. Not my personal favorite choice, but we’re gonna rotate backs so I’m fine with it.
- Mike Harley and Charleston Rambo joined by Keyshawn Smith at WR. You love to see it. I was maybe a year early on my Smith breakout prediction. But it’s time now!
- Restrepo on 2nd string at WR only because Harley is in front of him. Expect him to play lots.
- Dee Wiggins 2nd string and Mark Pope not listed at WR.
- Elijah Arroyo TE2. He’s next up here at #TEU. Learn the name now.
- Solid OL from left to right: Nelson, Rivers, Gaynor, Donaldson, Scaife. They’re among the keys to the season.
- McCloud and Harvey start at DE. But expect Williams and Johnson to play plenty as well.
- DT is solid. How long until superstar freshman Leonard Taylor starts taking snaps from....someone?
- Amari Carter won the tightest competition from camp over Gilbert Frierson at STRIKER. Expect both to play plenty.
- Welcome to the show, Keontra Smith at WILL.
- Bolden and Hall at Safety, with freshmen James Willilams and Kam Kinchens behind them. Youth is served.
We’ll see what movement happens to the depth chart in the future. But for now, we ride with this group in this alignment toward Atlanta for the opener vs Bama.
Avantae Williams suspended “at least 6 games”
A day after being formally reinstated to the University and Football Program, there was an update as to when we might expect to see S Avantae Williams on the field in competition for the Hurricanes. The answer? No time soon.
Manny Diaz says Avantae Williams won't play in Miami's first six games of the season.— Khobi Price (@khobi_price) August 30, 2021
A six game minimum suspension means the earliest Williams would be eligible to play for Miami this season would be against North Carolina State at home on October 23rd. There is the possibility, however, that Williams’s suspension will continue further into the season than this. But, according to the above-embedded statement from HC Manny Diaz, that’s when you should expect to hear an update as to Williams’s playing status for this season.
Blips on the Radar
Carl Bleich recapped week 1 of the HSFB season for Miami’s commits. And believe me, it was a GOOD week.
That’s plenty to get your days started with.
Make it a terrific Tuesday!