Reggie Johnson, Kenny Kadji, Shane Larkin, Durand Scott & Co could be on the verge of a very big year. Jim Larranaga's squad open the season in just one week with a visit from Stetson 11/9 (5:30pm EST ESPN3). Tonight's game affords a chance for Larranaga and staff to fine tune the well oiled, experienced 'Canes, and give fans a sneak peak at would could be a tremendous season. UM was ranked at #24 in the Blue Ribbon yearbook's preseason top 25, and also received votes in both the AP and USA today polls.
What to watch for:
- Miami may not want to give too much of a look to future opponents, so expect the playbook to remain vanilla. However there should be a few sequences when they run the "scramble" on defense. Coach Larranaga has emphasized that this year's team has a much better grasp schematically then they did in his debut season at UM.
- Expect true freshman C Tonye Jekiri to get a lot of work, as the big man vies to become a regular part of the rotation.
- Another freshman, walk on G Steve Sorenson, could also get some work. Sorenson's specialty in high school was shooting from downtown.
- Redshirt freshman combo G Bishop Daniels will also be making his debut. Daniels has been bothered by a hamstring injury, but all indication are he is close to 100%. Daniels, and his explosive athleticism could be a key performer this year.
- Look for Miami to run early and often off misses and forced turnovers. The 'Canes should crack 100 points, in a game that will likely be played at a fast pace.
The game is free to attend for all those who can make it to the BUC.