First the game highlights from last night:
- Let's start by giving it up for Coach Jim Larranaga and his staff. They are now 3-2 Vs Duke. Combine that with a 4 game winning streak over UNC, and you have the kind of success over the Tobacco Road Titans that UM fans could only dream of before Coach L arrived.
- Why is he so good? One game after not playing JaQuan Newton at all Vs BC, Coach L called on the freshman G for 10 high energy minutes, resulting in 4 points and 3 assists. As a whole, the 'Canes got very good play from their bench and looked like the fresher team coming down the stretch.
- No one was better off the bench than Manu Lecomte, who poured in 23 points in 28 minutes. When Lecomte is on, Miami is a whole lot better team offensively.
- Another double double from Tonye Jekiri (10 and 10) was an after thought. His help D and one on one D against Jahlil Okafor were the big stories for TJ. Very few players in the country are more improved overall than the UM 7 footer.
- Angel Rodriguez told reporters after the game, he liked matching up against Duke for both himself and his team because of their style of play. We think he just likes the big stage as well. Rodriguez is not to be underestimated, especially in a big time atmosphere. He was the best player on the floor last night with 25 points, 5 assists, and 5 steals. He may have an off game here and there, but his heart and energy give Miami a chance against any one.
- If Miami makes the NCAA Tournament this win will certainly play w big part in it. But consider this, they are a hair away from being 3-0 in the ACC with wins over UVA and Duke. There is a lot of basketball left to play yet, but if UM keeps up this level of play they can still contend for a top 3 or 4 spot in the ACC.
- The last time UM scored 90 in a game? 1/23/13 in a 90-63 blow out of Duke at the BUC.
Additional Notes (courtesy UM)
-With the win over Duke, Miami snapped the Blue Devils’ 41-game home winning streak. The Blue Devils’ 41-game home winning streak was the longest home winning streak in the NCAAcoming into tonight’s game.
-Miami also snapped Duke’s 19-game ACC home game winning streak.
-Miami’s win over Duke marked its second win on the road over a Top 10 opponent. Earlier this season, Miami defeated then No. 8/7 Florida.
-According to the Associated Press, Duke’s loss to unranked Miami, marked just the seventh home loss the Blue Devils had sustained in the last 242 games against unranked teams.
-The Hurricanes win over No. 4 Duke was the highest ranked opponent Miami had defeated on the road since its 73-71 win over No. 2 Connecticut.
-Miami’s 90 points againstDuke were a season high. The Hurricanes’ 56 second-half points were the most points Miami has scored in one half of play all year.
-UM is now 5-17 in the all-time series against Duke, which dates back to the 1962-63 season.
-Miami’s matchup with Duke marked the Canes’ third Top 10 opponent it has faced this season (No. 7 Florida, No. 3 Virginia and No. 4 Duke).
-With the win, Miami improvedto 4-7 in ACC road openers since joining the league in 2004-05. The also hold a 3-5 mark against ranked teams.
-Miami led by as many as 20 points with 1:09 remaining in the game.
-The Hurricanes outrebounded the Blue Devils by a 41-31 count and held a 51.8-43.9 shooting advantage.