The wait was over on Saturday morning as the Canes football team took the practice field and began their first day of camp. The first day was full of good quotes and it was really our first look at some of the incoming freshman, but now that we got the opener over with, the team was ready to move on and continue the rest of camp.
HERE is our recap of day one of Canes camp.
Sunday morning was a little bit different than the first. You could tell that the players had a first day of camp limp with them, as opposed to being fresh and ready to go on Saturday. That, however, didn't stop them from going full speed ahead (Yeah, that's right).
Practice kicked off and the team's started running drills, and the hype of Alex Figueroa continues to build as we can now see that he not only clobbers people, but he has also has great leaping abilities.
- Practice kicked off Sunday, but coach Golden told us what he thought about the team's performance during day one. "We got a lot done. They're in good shape and it obviously allows you to do more. Greater capacity to work. (Saturday) was a good start. A lot of guys did a lot of work over the summer and a lot of freshmen studied so it was good to see them out there as well because it shows they're prepared and want an opportunity to play."
- Al Golden wasn't the only coach to talk to the media on Sunday. When new offensive coordinator, James Coley was asked about Stephen Morris and his progress he had this to say: "He's doing a great job. He has to continue to work and get better, but he's doing a great job so far. He's had a good summer."
- Tracy Howard was available for the media on Sunday morning and when he was asked about the receivers on the roster he said, "I think we probably have one of the best receiving groups in the country ... We're very blessed to have the receiving group we have. I like trash talking and competing with those guys every day. It's only gonna make us better."
- [Tracy] Howard was also asked about Ladarius Gunter and he had this to say about his fellow cornerback: "Ladarius is very good, he's a top gun. He's a next level corner."
- Sophomore safety, Deon Bush was still wearing a red non-contact jersey Sunday, while Senior tackle Seantrel Henderson wore a yellow jersey (limited contact) during sunday's practice. Coach Golden confirmed that Henderson turned his ankle during practice Saturday.
- For those skeptical about how good the defense is going to be this season, UM announced after practice that the defense won all three skeleton drills against the offense on Sunday. Obviously, there's things to address, but those around the team these last couple of mornings can tell you that the squad looks much improved.
- Dallas Crawford, Antonio Crawford, Duke Johnson, Artie Burns, Stacy Coley and Phillip Dorsett all worked on kickoff returns at the start of practice.
- It seems that besides Alex Figueroa, the player that has drawn the most anticipation is freshman receiver, Stacy Coley. Duke Johnson and the coaches are already praising him and he helped his cause by making an acrobatic catch over fellow freshman Artie Burns.
- Golden also reported that QB Preston Dewey was not at camp though he would be at a later date. When asked why Golden said it was personal issues he was taking care of.
- Dallas Crawford's take on the "big back battle" was that Gus Edwards and Danny Dillard were "neck and neck" but was also quick to point out he is not a coach. He also said that he was pleased in any role on the offense " We all run the same plays so if I'm listed 3rd at RB or if I'm split out wide it's ok with me" He was also looking forward to special teams" I love it, if you're going to play under Golden you better love it".
- Eduardo Clements return has added a spark to the running back position, Crawford spoke about how it hit everyone hard when they got the news of the injury, but seeing the work that Clements put into his rehab and seeing him get a chance to put the pads back on gave a "huge lift" to the guys.
- Our day ended with the emergence of the "the guys standing over there" Some rather large college age guys in street clothes got the attention of us and pretty much every other media member at camp, you may have seen the picture on twitter. When asked the staff "could not comment on players not currently on the 105 man roster" One name you already know the other you may not, it shouldn't be long so stay tuned, we gotcha covered